Sunday, December 4, 2016

Day 4: DAD

Okay, Sunday feels like a great day to talk about Dad, because he kind of fits in my memory as a Sunday kind of guy. His example as a leader in our church all through my life made a great impact in my desire to be a good example to the people around me. Our fellow worshippers loved him and often told me how great they thought he is - and all I could really do was agree, there wasn't really anything to dispute there.


I visited Mom & Dad in London this past October, and the last night I was there, I watched football with Mom and FaceTimed with Abby and both parents, and then I fully expected to go to sleep around the reasonable time of 10:30pm. 3 hours later, Dad and I finished our really great chat at the unreasonable hour of 1:30am, and I've never regretted that because I still often think about our conversation and the many things we discussed - and mostly how I love how easy it is to talk to him, about anything. But especially the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Both Mom & Dad have instilled and strengthened in me a sense of who I am and helped me really personalize my relationship with God and Christ, so it's somewhat difficult to talk of the one parent without fully recognizing the other. But Dad has always had a way with helping me figure out what exactly I believe and why I believe it. I've honestly thought back to that long midnight discussion so many times, and each time it buoys me up in my belief in myself and my abilities, and in my hope for both the future and my future.


Dad is my advocate, he's my support, and he's my buddy. Mom was likely annoyed more than pleased through most of my last visit because we maybe might have teased her a little too much too often (I truly am sorry about that, Mom), but we have a lot of fun together and I'm really glad I have a Dad I can say that about. I think my favorite thing about Dad at the moment is that he's incredibly smart and wise - and he absolutely makes me feel like I'm the same. I love getting his insights on different things, and I really love that he makes me feel like my own insights are valued. He shows such appreciation for my talents, and for my potential talents. I feel confident in expressing myself and in trying new things because I feel like Dad already believes in me as I am and as I can be. It's been a powerful quality that I'm only just now recognizing to put words to about him. One of his greatest gifts is the ability to see the gifts and potential in others. Particularly in his kids. It's a gift I am particularly thankful he uses toward me.


xoxo!



3 comments:

CB said...

To echo some of Kate's sentiments: Today, I was in a meeting with a man who had known Dad from church. We spent almost half the meeting with him telling me how much he loved Dad and how much he would just watch Dad and how much he learned from Dad. He is a truly amazing person and a marvelous dad.

Laura B. said...

Walt is amazing. He has the ability to make whoever he's talking to feel like the most important person in the world. His loving and gentle disposition make people want to be around him! We love Papa Walt!!
I also really love his tendency to research things thoroughly. Especially light bulbs. My house is so much brighter because of that!
Oh and I can't leave a tribute to Walt without mentioning the greatest advice he's ever given me...You can't have too many vacuums! :) Our shared love for a good vacuum is one of my favorite things!

Jodi said...

One of my favorite things about Walt is his sense of humor. He's thoroughly refined, of course, until the smile on his face goes wry. One of the things that endears me to him is his blatant cheating at games which makes me laugh and enjoy the game so much more. On a more serious note though, I also love the way he treasures Claudette. I have benefited greatly because of his example of adoring husband and father. Chris wouldn't be who he is to me without Walt's example(and Claudette's). I'm so thankful for his goodness! :)