Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Day 13: BEN

Happy Birthday, Ben, my fellow ferroequinologist**!!!


Ben is so great. He's super tall, super funny, and super kind. Ben has always believed in my potential to do great things, and he's been super supportive of any major or minor step I take in life. I love talking to him about the happenings of daily life, and I love sitting and watching sports with him. We've watched a lot of football and basketball together, and a lot of other sports as well - I attribute a lot of my ability to watch and enjoy almost any sporting event to all my time watching whatever is on espn with him.

I've also watched a number of obscure, random movies with Ben, all of which have become our favorite for the next few months, and which we try to track down all the information on it so we can love it even more. Between Shaolin Soccer and Mothra 3: the Return of Mothra, I think we've picked some real winners over the years.


I think one of my favorite things about Ben is that, in a family of big heads, he's really quite humble. He's really good at A LOT of things, but I feel like he's never the one to tell us all about it. If I was being inducted into any type of Hall of Fame, I'd be telling everyone - humblebragging whenever and wherever I could. But Ben almost completely hid his induction to our high school's athletic HoF and made very little fanfare of it, even as we piled on our own pride of just being related to someone in a HoF! It was so fun to celebrate someone who would never ask to be celebrated (and really doesn't want all that attention on him anyway - too bad, Ben, you're getting it anyway!)

I have a lot more good I could say here, but I sense his cheeks crimsoning at the thought of all these compliments, so perhaps I'll stop. But I'm super glad you're my brother. Can't wait to talk over life's mysteries on that 8-hour car ride to Missouri in a few weeks!!


xoxo!


**train enthusiast

5 comments:

CB said...

Ben is one of a kind. I don't think I have ever met a more humble person in my life. Since we are only 14 months apart, he grew up being my best friend. I also feel like he gave me a good pattern to see what it took to become skilled or talented at something. Because of his humility, people might think he was just naturally a great athlete, but I saw the hours of doing things like trying and practicing left handed lay-ups that paid off in lots of unique sporting opportunities.

DF said...

I do love trains!

Of course it takes me until 6 days after, but thank you, Kate, for your kind words. You rock!

Jodi said...

Ben makes life more fun! I love the way he instantly befriends others and makes them feel cool. :)

Zach of Missouri said...

Ben is the Bomb! I'm sure he'll be inducted into the Big Brother Hall of Fame some day.

Laura B. said...

I'm totally biased, but I think Ben's the greatest thing to ever happen to this world...or at least my world! He is the BEST husband and father and always puts our needs/wants before his own. He is the greatest dad to these three girls, and I'm sure no father has been adored as much as he is. He is hard working, selfless and kind to everyone. He never has a bad thing to say about people and very rarely gets fired up at someone.
Ben has the BEST laugh and my favorite thing to watch is when he's with Chris and Zach and they're off in their "Brother World". Every time it results in Ben laughing SO hard, which is my very favorite thing to hear!
He's the best and so so loved.