Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Day 15: MOM

Happy birthday, Mom!! I hope you're being spoiled with warmer, non-rainy weather right now!


Oh mom - there are a lot of things I enjoy that I know I got from mom. We've spent a lot of time together in common, quiet interests - like working side-by-side through her collection of crossword puzzle and variety puzzlebooks (and like any good daughter, I lovingly stockpiled variety puzzles to bring to her in London when I visited, since she couldn't get them there) or sitting in the same or adjoining rooms, reading our separate books - many of my favorite books have been recommendations from her and I love talking to her about a mutually loved story, when the other finally reads it. And I'm 98% positive I got my inclination to shriek or jerk and squeal at important (or not important) moments in Green Bay Packers football games from her influence (sorry dad).

I also learned the joy of a nicely decorated home - the many trips home from college to have mom welcome me with all the new changes and additions to our home's interior have ingrained in me a love for showing off my decorating (whether my roommates care or not!). And every time I cook (so, once a month maybe), I feel like I need to tell mom so we can both believe her fab cooking skills maybe might've rubbed off on me finally (they didn't, alas).

More importantly, though, I also learned how kindness and a willingness to listen to someone talk can make such a difference to them. I feel like mom was really great at listening and engaging with people - the ladies at church just seemed so comfortable around mom, and I find myself constantly striving for that same effect on the people around me. She wasn't aggressive in her friendliness or in need of any spotlight - she just wanted to be kind and people felt noticed by her. I don't think I realized that impact until long after I moved out of the house, but I definitely appreciate it now.


I know I'm a strong, independent, confident woman because of mom (and dad), and I'd be remiss if I didn't recognize the impact of Nana and Grandpa Bill in rearing a strong, independent, confident daughter who would then become my example - they're both so thoughtful and kind, and I've grown up totally spoiled in knowing that they love me completely. I love visiting them - they both show such interest in what I'm doing, and just knowing that they take the time to keep track of me among all their other posterity makes me feel so loved. So thanks, Nana and Gpa Bill, for loving me, and for raising an amazing daughter to love me as well!

(and thanks Jodi, for sending these pics!)

xoxo!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very well said Kate! Your mother (and father) have raised 5 amazing and accomplished children! Thank you! I hope you had a fantastic birthday Claudette! Much love!

Jodi said...

Great job, Kate! I have always been impressed by the confidence, brightness, and thoughtfulness Claudette possesses. She also makes all of our visits into fun filled adventures. I'm glad to know and love her adventurous heart.

Laura B. said...

Claudette is the master of the Paloozas. We all love being together because she always makes it so much fun! We love coming to visit them and seeing what fun things she has planned. She is also so good at making her grandkids feel special and important. I love the gifts she gives to my girls because they are all personalized to them and their interests! Life is better with Grammie Dette around!