Sunday, December 18, 2016

Day 18: MADDIE

Oh my gosh, Day 18 is Maddie, WHO IS 18 years old! Which also just blows my mind that I have a niece in college, but let's not dwell on that. Although how cool is it that Maddie is in COLLEGE?! I'm so proud of her and all her hard work to get there - and I'm so happy she's getting the chance to live on her own and have fun and make her own decisions and see where they will take her. College is so great, and she seems to be making the most of it so far.


I think I will always have a special connection to MJ in my heart, because I was so young when she was born, and I was often shipped off by my parents to stay with Chris's family for 3-7 days at a time, so I feel like I got to grow up with her, in a small way. She's as close in age to me as her dad is to me, so I have about equal commonalities with both of them, regarding life and cultural experiences. But I feel like I got to relate to Maddie in a way that I won't have with my other nieces - talking to her about what she's experiencing now is so fun because it really wasn't all that long ago that I was in that same place - high school, athletics, college, etc - so I don't feel quite as old and stodgy with her when I reminisce about those times. She makes me feel young and cool still, which is super kind of her.


But MJ is also a lot more talented than I am, so there's a lot in her life I can't relate to directly, but I can only be a huge support. She's got a beautiful voice and definitely enjoys all of her mother's musical talents; she's a great athlete and it was so so so fun experiencing her cross-country and track successes - both physically cheering her on at meets and texting my cheers through races (I really loved going to her cross-country meets, and I'm really grateful she wasn't so mortified by our yelling that we had to stop - thanks for letting us be loud at your meets, MJ!). Maddie also has a great work ethic about school - she worked really hard in her classes and sincerely wanted to do well at school - this is something I relate to in theory, but less in practice, so I've always been impressed with that.

Beyond that, Maddie has been such a sweet older sister to her siblings - I've really loved her relationship with Caleb as they got through high school together, and her attention to all her siblings has been such a treat to watch. Being with the Barlows WI in August, after MJ had left for school, I think I really saw the impact she had on her family - even as they were pleased to have me visit, they were equally open about how much they missed her already. Libby and Chloe were especially vocal about it, which says a lot about how much they love her. Those girls are lucky to have such a good influence and example in their older sister, and if they can follow her lead to be strong and confident and genuine women like her, they will be set for life.


xoxo MJ!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

What a great entry about Maddie, Kate! I love this first pic in particular because it has hung on our wall for years. I love looking at it and remembering all our fun adventures with your visits. Maddie is such a special person. She lights up a room and when she leaves I would say she leaves most people feeling happier-- not because she left, but by how she made them feel.

Laura B. said...

Oh Maddie!! I adore this girl and love any time we can spend together. She's fun, witty and always the life of the party! I love seeing her adventures at college and am so proud of the person she is becoming! She is the best "big cousin" for my girls and they absolutely ADORE her and want to be just like her, which I support! Maddie's the BEST!

Unknown said...

Beautiful inside and out!