Monday, December 19, 2016

Day 19: LAURA

Laura! Hey girl!

From day 1, Laura has always treated me like a friend rather than a little sister. I lived with Ben and Laura for 3 months when I was a freshman in college, and it was seriously such a blast - I really loved that time being with them. Laura helped hone my scrapbooking skills during that time, and I will say my best scrapbook pages came from then, even as I continued in that hobby for a few more years after. We watched Alias together and it's still the only time I've been able to watch a whole season of the Bachelor - and it was so fun! I mean, Laura is just fun, she makes even the simplest things really exciting! She lives with an enthusiasm that spreads to the people around her, and she adds so much to any outing.


She also has trusted me with her kids multiple times while they were little - which is really a pretty big deal to me. I was still youngish when she entrusted little Emilie to my daytime care in Iowa. And later, she gave me guardianship for a week over Emilie and baby Claire when she had to go run girls camp in New York. Both times, she gave me the chance to come to an unknown city, hang out with my family, and help keep her kidlets happy and healthy. I think back about those times as really important to my confidence in being an adult and learning how to manage for myself and others. So she's really been important to my education in being a grown-up, and I'm grateful for that.


I think my favorite thing about Laura is that we're probably really different in a lot of ways - so she brings such a different perspective, it reminds me that life can be really great in all sorts of different ways. She's really ambitious and confident that she can do anything she puts her mind to; she's really friendly and outgoing and makes such strong, lasting friendships; she's really brave and willing to try something new or difficult or unknown. These are all things I don't understand, so I'm really grateful she's been able to show me how great life can be living with these qualities. To be honest, Laura kind of fascinates me - I live life in a way where a lot of things happen to me and I kind of roll with the outcomes and see what I can make of the result; Laura takes life by the horns and makes of it what she wants - and when life doesn't quite play along, she adjusts and takes the resulting life by the horns again and makes of it what she can. I guess I just feel like she lives life purposely. And luckily, she includes me in that purpose - and it's really a very fun ride for me. Can't wait for that 8-hour road trip coming up, we're singing ALL the songs!

xoxo LB!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I love this, Kate! It is such a great description of Laura! I'm pretty sure Laura can talk anyone into anything by her sheer enthusiasm, charm, and beauty. She radiates warmth and friendship to everyone. I love hanging out with Laura. I admire her courage and the way she makes everything better with her crafting skills, study or hard work. I know she says she is a show pony, not a work horse, but I see glimpses of work horse with the way she tackles life.

CB said...

Jodi, our kids, and I have loved Laura since the first time we met her. Whenever we try to plan a trip or set up an adventure for our family, I try to think how Laura would plan it because I know it would be set up for "fun success" if she were involved.

Unknown said...

I also really enjoy Laura's contagious enthusiasm! Laura is so fun! She is always ready to get the games going...and I love how much she enjoys winning these games! Laura is such a delight, a friendly face. She is someone easy to talk with and share enjoyment of all things pink, princess and glittery.