Friday, December 2, 2016

Day 2: GRACE


This little babe started my (not used enough by the little kidlets with their little kidlet lisps) nickname Aunt Cake. If I recall, it was a number of years ago, when Ben's family and I were in Utah, visiting the parentals, and she couldn't quite say Kate, so she ended up calling me Aunt Cake, and I basically wanted her to address me by name every second after we noticed it. We also got delicious ice cream shakes one night and Laura and I somehow miraculously got them all home balanced in a box without completely spilling everywhere. But that's another story.

Grace is also a youngest sibling kindred spirit with me. I still often think of the picture Laura sent me once when she found her one morning sitting in their closet reading a book by the light of the closet overhead bulb - my heart grew three sizes hearing that. When she was a little smaller, her flyaway hair and flushed cheeks hearkened back to some pictures of me at that age and I loved having that connection with her - my own little mini-me for a brief moment in life.


She's always been quick to sit on my lap or near me, and I'm crossing my fingers that doesn't end any time soon. She's a soft-spoken ball of sweetness and she sees the good in everything around her. She's a total cheeser for the camera, which kills me every time.

She's also killer at volleyball (!!!) and I can't wait to get to one of her games when the season starts again! And did I tell you about the time we went bowling and she just grabbed the bowling ball, walked up to the line, and totally crushed it, first time? Girl is fearless.

xoxo Gracie Girl.

3 comments:

CB said...

She is so great. She is so much like her Aunt Cake--from her looks, to her closet reading, to her love for volleyball, to her quiet sweetness as the baby of the family.

*Abby* said...

Nailed it! Grace is brave and courageous and up for the challenge. Keep me coming Kate!

Jodi said...

Grace is a ball of sweetness! Well said Kate. We love those bright blue eyes and soft spoken manner. What great pics too!!!