Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Yogurt Wars, Part 2: Revenge of the Spoon

We ran out of our spoon supply in our office this week (and I haven't made it to the store yet to get more...oops), so I grabbed an extra spoon from the cafeteria yesterday to have on hand at my desk for the time when I'd be ready to eat my yogurt.

That time was this afternoon.

Turns out, the cafeteria spoons are all basically soup spoons - really circular and really deep.

It also turns out that soup spoons are difficult to eat yogurt with.

I have a hutch in front of my desk, blocking me from the general view of anyone who walks in, and no one was really in the front office anyway, at the time that I had my yogurt craving. Luckily. Because even with no one around to see me, I still felt more than a little silly as I tried to enjoy my snack, fumbling around the yogurt container with this giant, rotund spoon, trying to dig into the top and bottom crevices to get to all the Orange Creme goodness Yoplait had to offer.

When I could get yogurt on the spoon - like, say, when the container was still full and even a puppy could get yogurt on a spoon, despite its lack of opposable thumbs and general coordination with eating - the spoon was so deep, I would have to flip it over in my mouth, just to give me any chance of getting to the yogurt at the bottom of the giant chasm that was my spoon.

Finally admitting defeat, after toiling helplessly to reach square corners with a round device and exerting far too much energy for 4:15 on a Wednesday afternoon, I tossed the mostly empty, though still full enough to be sad about it, yogurt container in the garbage behind me. And kept the spoon. Because even a difficult spoon is better than no spoon at all (yogurt's a tough food to eat with your hands).

And thus continues my troubles with one of my favorite mid-day snacks.

I will persevere!

No comments: