Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I'm a Runner Again! Well, Sort Of...

I just went running for the 2nd evening in a row.

That's right. 2 consecutive days. Check it.

This sudden running surge I'm feeling is a result of 2 main factors:

1. The South Davis Recreation Center Annual Turkey Trot 5k is only a month away (November 24th), and I have recently made big plans to DOMINATE. I anticipate the Barlow family members in attendance showing up in a really big way on that presumably chilly, unsuspecting morning. South Davis Rec Center formerly known as the Bountiful Bubble - are you ready for this jelly?!

2. I think my body and mind are both in harvest mode, gathering up all the beautiful, warm weather before the Big Chill sets in for Winter. This girl is no stranger to the Winter Blues. I suppose maybe I'm subconsciously holding said blues off as long as possible, at least so they don't set in prematurely. I could feel WB trying to get comfortable in me during the latest cold spell two weeks ago, but it's only October - you're not welcome here for another 1.5 months, minimum, Sir! I refuse to go into hibernation mode until absolutely necessary this year. So I'll be finding some sort of way to get outside as much as possible while I still can. Which isn't actually that hard, now that I walk to the Metro. I'm outside for a good 20 minutes everyday, no matter what.

There's also 1 minor factor involved in this, which I feel deserves mentioning.

1a. This time of year is probably the absolute best time to run/exercise outside. The entire Summer has been altogether too hot to really want to exercise in, and the slight drop in temperature, particularly at night is a welcome feeling, while not being so cold that your body doesn't have time to adjust. It's still warm and beautiful out, but not nearly as suffocatingly hot and humid as it was one month ago. And the slight, cool breeze that accompanies the transition from Summer to Autumn? So refreshing during and after a nice run/bike/whatever. I stretched outside longer than usual after my run, and now I'm sitting on our porch, enjoying the coolness. LOVE IT!

Come November, I'll finally sign up for the gym we have on the Hill, since I HATE running in the cold. And a fun bonus to all this exercise that two days has convinced me I'm going to do consistently? I've got a good argument for new workout clothes. Yay! I don't know what it is, but new workout clothes really makes me excited. And motivates me to work out more, so I can wear my new outfits. So it's a win-win, right?

So, are you ready to take up the challenge of the Turkey Trot?

Prepare to eat. my. dust.

No comments: