Monday, October 10, 2011

On Minor Holidays and 3-Day Weekends

 I absolutely adore 3-day weekends.

I think they should happen more often.

And thanks to government employment, they do happen more often!

This was the first time I've ever been able to celebrate Columbus Day. Thanks, Chris Columbus, for doing something that seemed important enough for some Americans to take a day off of work to not really celebrate what you actually did because we really are just happy to not be at work, and that's all that really matters, when it comes down to it.

As for me, I celebrated sleeping in and lounging in bed until late morning. I worked on my puzzle (it's so close to being done, I'm so excited!), then got ready for the day around 1pm. Friend Jillian came over at 1:45 or so and we walked over to 23rd Street, where some of our local restaurants are (including Freddie's, the gay bar - strange, no?) and had a nice lunch at a thai restaurant, basking in the beautiful Columbus Day weather as we sat at a table in their porch seating.

I love outdoor seating at restaurants. I'm already dreading the closures of porch seating at restaurants, due to the cold. I went to dinner Friday night with some friends, with the only stipulation of where we ate being that it had to have outdoor seating. Friday was gorgeous out here, and I just wanted more time out there.

Same with Saturday. It was so beautiful and warm, I spent most of my day outside. I went for a walk, did some shopping at a strip mall so I had to walk outside to get to each store, and then roamed some monuments/memorials I hadn't yet been to - the Jefferson (I know, I can't believe it took me that long to see it either!), the Albert Einstein Monument (complete with a star map on the ground matching the sky on the night of April 22, 1979, the day it was dedicated), and the FDR monument (which is HUGE - 4 sections, representing his 4 Presidential terms. Who'd want to be President that long?!). Thanks to friends Lance and Brian for indulging me in my desire to wander around DC all night.

So thanks Autumn, for staying warm enough that I can wear flip-flops and short-sleeve shirts during the day, and transition into sweater weather apparel for the evenings. I appreciate the slow easing into Autumn you're allowing me.

And thanks again Columbus, for giving me the day off. I appreciate you more this year than I ever have before.

No comments: