Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sometimes My Life is So Hard

So I only have 2 real TV shows that I really watch at a time.

Two.

Two shows I allow myself to get fully invested in.

One comedy. One drama.

I can't really handle more - as soon as I have to start caring about another show, a former one drops off the radar.

This season, it's Psych (my comedy) and the edgy new drama, Revenge (drama - obviously). I happened upon this new show on it's premier night, after watching Modern Family at a friend's house. There were 4 of us at the time this show came on: two friends were in the kitchen chatting; other friend and I were on the couch and were instantly hooked to this juicy little "Count of Monte Cristo in the Hamptons" playa. 3 episodes later, I haven't regretted opening my heart up to it.

Psych has been the love of my comedy-show life for these last 6 seasons of tv watching. I truly love this show - always have, always will. My two boyfriends, Shawn and Guster, make me smile. Every time they come on screen. Long story short, I'm a better person with Psych in my life than I was without it.

Only two shows.

Simple.

BIG PROBLEM ALERT!!!!

BOTH shows decided to air Wednesday nights at 10pm/9pm Central. WHAT?!

How did both of my shows - the only two I watch with any eagerness and excitement - get the EXACT SAME AIRING TIME?!

I can't possibly watch both shows at the same time - I don't have a DeLorean or Time-Turner to allow me to do that, as much as I would really, really like to.

I know people will have all sorts of solutions to this predicament I find myself improbably dealing with:


DVR saves lives by letting us record shows and watch them whenever we want, even skipping commercials!
1. I don't have DVR. None of my 3 Revenge friends have DVR. I don't like watching Psych with other people - unless it's dear friend Jillian.
2. With my Revenge group, we need those commercials to regroup and discuss what we just watched in the last 8.7 minutes, and to predict what might come up during the next 9.3 minutes before the next commercial break.

Shows are all put online, watch Revenge with your viewing party, and watch Psych later!
But I'm so anxious to watch them right away - I don't want to have to wait! And with my show that fills in during Psych's hiatus - White Collar - the new episodes didn't get posted until a month after airing! What if USA Network does the same thing with Psych?!
Plus, for whatever reason, I find watching shows online annoying. I'm not sure why, but I do. I still do watch them online - but I just don't enjoy it as much as tuning in to a real television, you know? Call me old-school, but that's just how I roll.

All the other thoughts and ideas that might fix this one problem in your life!
I didn't want thoughts and ideas! I just wanted some commiseration from you on the fact that, of all the days and times that shows can air, the two I care about are at the exact same time on the exact same day! Crazy! Improbable! Unfixable!

Life is just so very hard sometimes.

But all of this unnecessarily long complaining on my part was, of course, a moot point on this very Wednesday. I met up with some friends, including my dear friend Michelle, who's visiting from Utah, for dinner tonight, and we didn't even leave the pizza place (which was really great. and I definitely don't know what it was called. It started with an "A." bummer about my increasing memory loss.) until 10pm/9pm central, so there was no way I'd be catching either show tonight. Sorry viewing party. Sorry tv boyfriends. But real life friends have to trump fake, scripted friends - and I'm nervous for my social life when they no longer do...

Seriously - apple pizza and pumpkin ravioli. This pizza place knows how to do Autumn specials. I'll pass up two tv shows for that tasty goodness, hands down.

No comments: