Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Personal Note to a Sister on Her Birthday

So I got a new computer this weekend.

It's been really frustrating exciting to transfer everything from my old computer to my new one; I've gotten to look over a lot of documents/pictures/songs/etc I haven't seen in a while. It's been fun to look at what my life includes and the changes/growth I've gone through.

Most recently, my project of transferring data (because the easy migration process between computers is not actually so easy for me, it seems) involved me importing all my pictures into a program on my new computer so I can view the pictures easier and what-not.

As they imported, each picture flashed on the screen for just an instant (unless the computer was overwhelmed, in which case I got to smile at a cute niece or nephew stalled on the screen a little longer - tender mercies!)

So I was watching the pictures go by and I realized that probably just under 1/2 of all my pictures on my computer are of my sister Abby and her family. Mainly her kids. And I thought there were probably a few reasons for it:

1. She's my closest sibling, and only sister. Of course we're going to see each other whenever we can. And of course we'll document it. Because we're really fun, and we need pictures to prove that to other people.

2. She's been stuck in Middle of Nowhere, Arkansas for the past 3 years; how does a young single girl with the means and schedule to travel not feel overwhelming compassion in her bosom for this poor family and choose to spend her vacations buoying them up with her presence?

3. Like ALL of my nieces and nephews, her kids are freaking gorgeous, so how do you not take pictures of them every single second of every single day of your life?

4. She's a photographer in her own right, so she takes a lot of pictures, and when I visit, we do photo shoots, and then I make her give me all the pictures she's taken during my trip, as well as any other pictures she's shown me from times I wasn't around. So I steal all her pictures, basically.

5. I kinda like her a lot, so I like doing things with her, and I like having memories of those things we've done.

I like that we play Super Mario Bros. when we're together. I like that she thinks I have good taste in jewelry and accessories. I like that she thinks I have good taste in general (which she's never told me, but I know it's true because she always steals my stuff). I like that she answers my phone calls when I need someone to walk me home or to a friend's at night, and we only talk for about 5 minutes or so, but we talk enough that it's a good enough length of time. I like that we can talk about things that sisters talk about. I like that she is willing to open up to me and tell me frustrations, worries, and concerns, as well as happy moments, exciting moments, and funny experiences. I like that she will listen to me complain and break down and still love me like she always does. I like that she thinks I'm really funny (because I am funny - which is a statement I've been saying a lot lately, and I'm suddenly worried that I'm having to convince people of this fact...). I like that she thinks Yahtzee is an acceptable way to ring in the new year. I like that we cry every single time we get together because we make each other laugh so much. I like that her husband thinks we're crazy when we get together - I'm not sure why I like that, but it makes our relationship more special to me.

I just kind of like it all, you know? I'm pretty lucky in the family I got here on this earth. And on this Earth Day, I just thought I'd wish my sister a happy 30th birthday. Because 30 years is a big deal. You know, 30 sounds pretty great, and I think it looks good on you, Abs! Live it up! But don't get crazy. Happy Birthday, with lots of love from your little sister!


1 comment:

*Abby* said...

Happy tear. Thanks Kate! I do think your are pretty dang great! (and have a great fashion sense!)