Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lip Rings and Kissing

A guy got on the bus the other day, with scraggly hair and over-sized jeans, and I thought nothing of it. Apparently I see that look enough in my flings with public transit that it just doesn't faze me anymore. That was until I saw his lip-ring. He succeeded in a slightly longer gaze from me than I allow my typical fellow passengers. (Let it be known, a longer gaze from me is usually ominous and means I'm even less impressed than usual. A good look from me is the flittering of my eyes to you over and over again, wanting to make eye contact but not wanting to at the same time. Though these definitions are not always 100% accurate).

This young man had gotten on with a similarly scraggly-looking young woman, and the first thought that popped into my head was, "gross, how could you enjoy kissing someone with a lip ring?!" I have no idea if the two were even a couple, but I felt bad for her anyway. I'm not a fan of piercings on guys, or on girls when it's more than the simple ear piercing, so I'm usually turned off by that regardless, but I've decided the lip ring is the biggest offender to me. That and the nipple piercing - there's just something that screams ego to me about that piercing. It's like, "I spent money to have a reason to remove my shirt and show off my amazing pectorals. You wanna look?" that just gags me.

But the lip ring is a heinous crime against relationships. If I was dating someone and he got a lip ring, I'd feel rightful cause in dumping him right then. Not just because I finally realized I'm dating an idiot, but because it shows lack of feeling and thought of me. How dare he think I'd enjoy kissing him at the end of the night when I'd have to deal with a cold piece of metal on my lips. Especially in the winter, how rude! No, I refuse to put up with that. Go ahead, call me picky, call me unsensitive, call me shallow - you'd be wrong. I just refuse to let a piece of steel ruin perfectly good kissing. Not to mention they're just plain ugly.

No comments: