Thursday, February 4, 2010

I am a Character

Ever since I started college in 2004, I have been a lackluster tv watcher. I didn't have much time for it, and my attention, though easily hooked for 30-60 minutes, often didn't hold on to wait 7 more days for a new story and adventure.
There have been times, though, when I felt it necessary to stay with a show or two, at least through a season. Most of these times came when other friends were already hooked, which made it easier for me to stay involved. But even the most promising shows fell through the cracks after the season finale - me wait months to find out what would happen next?! Please! Sometimes I'd stay excited for a month, and once or twice I've returned for the new season opener...but this was rare, and I usually missed the rest of the season anyway.
Enter USA Network.
This place is bliss. I can't tell you how many tv boyfriends I have right now. Between Psych and White Collar, and adding Chuck on NBC (he's a character in himself - I look forward to seeing you, Chuck, on USA as reruns one day), I am counting roughly 4 1/2 boyfriends (the 1/2 is for Capt. Awesome on Chuck - he's just minor enough that I can't justify a full crush on him). Psych is additionally great because it accounts for 2 of my crushes - Shawn and Gus. The dynamic duo. The ultimate in bromances. The most attractive thing to me is seeing a guy with his best friend, playing off each other and practically talking their own language. The writers of Psych must appreciate that as much as me, because they have created pure greatness between these two. If I could make a perfect man, I'd mold these two guys, combining Gus's ridiculously smart and expansive mind, and Shawn's perfectly gelled coif, and have him pick me up in Gus's echo - I do appreciate a man trying to protect the environment!
White Collar, though - Neal Caffrey, what can I say? I hate that you're always looking for the love of your life, Kate, and you can't hear me telling you I'm right here. Seriously, though, he's the only guy I can think of currently who actually pulls off a turtleneck. And of course, I love his friend Mazzi - sidekicks are kind of my weakness.
Then there's Chuck. My sister, Abby, and I spent a weekend of my visit over Christmas catching up on season 1, to be ready for season 2 which started right after I got home. I'm a total sucker for complete geeks who happen to dress well, and somehow maintain a nice forearm (I mean, really, is he a geek who works out? I don't get the arm muscles he somehow has...didn't realize working on computers toned you so much...). I especially appreciate how awkward he is around girls, or at least how awkward he was. And again, his friendship/work relationship with Agent Casey is one of my favorite things about the show.
They are all just such interesting characters. I love USA's theme, Characters Welcome, for that reason. I feel so invited in. Because I think I'm a character as well. I like to dance around my bathroom while I brush my teeth. I sometimes sing quietly to myself on the street when I think no one's near me. I'm really hilarious, but I'm usually at my funniest when no one's around to hear my jokes. I don't know how to burp. I sometimes sing quietly to myself when I forget I share a cubicle at work. I laugh a lot at myself, all the time, in private and public.
Is that a good enough introduction to me? I sure think a day in the life of me makes a good pilot episode.

No comments: