Monday, February 15, 2010

I'm smitten...

...with a Canadian mogul skier. I know, I never believed I'd fall in love with a Canadian, but what can you do? Of course, I also haven't ever met him, but that doesn't stop love, does it? It's amazing what those Olympic interviews and narrations can do to make a person seem so wonderful. His name is Alexandre Bilodeau, first Canadian to win a gold medal on home ground. This is the 3rd Olympics held in Canda, and somehow they have had a complete drought of gold medals in the previous two.

Not only was it fun to see a Canadian, who wasn't really expected to be the one to break the drought, take the country's first gold, but his story was so sweet. I couldn't contain a teenage-like smile from forming every time I watched the playback of his run or heard the story of his older brother being his inspiration. His older brother has cerbral palsy, but has done much more than his doctors imagined. Alex has always looked up to him and drawn inspiration from him, getting himself to train when he didn't want to by thinking about how his brother works so hard just to walk and talk. He dedicated his run to his brother beforehand, so it was even more touching when he won!

Seriously though, I'm totally smitten. I was watching the moguls with my dad, and when the last skier finished and couldn't beat Bilodeau's score, I woke my dad from his nap with my squeaks and giggles. The first thing out of my mouth was, "I have such a crush on him right now!" My dad laughed - he didn't seem to realize I was serious. I think I need to find a new distraction - I crush hard on people I don't know at all, and I don't have time for him to take all my thoughts and attention. Someone please find me an American stat! Preferably one who might be around and therefore more worth my attentions...

At any rate, now that the Canadians have broken their drought, that's one less country to cheer for. USA!

No comments: