Saturday, February 13, 2010

It's Time for the Olympics!!!

I absolutely love the Olympics! I'm a sports junkie in general, but the Olympics are a total weakness of mine. All week, I've been reading articles and watching commercials prepping for the Olympics, and my heart has jumped at every mention. I can't help but smile when I think of it, and every day at work, a whisper of "the Olympics start on Friday" has passed through my lips at some point. I'm just so excited.
Last night the Opening Ceremonies took place in Vancouver, British Columbia, and it was quite impressive. A few friends texted me at different points of the night just before or during the beginning of the ceremony, and my response to their questions of my activities that night was always, "well, I'm watching the highly anticipated (by me) Opening Ceremonies of the Olympic Games" and I left it at that. Eventually, a few friends dropped in and we all watched them together, it was pure joy.
I love the ads that come with the Olympics - the inspiration that sweats from them run chills through me every time one comes on. I especially like the "Go World" campaign, with Morgan Freeman's narration through inspirational moments of past Olympics. Just before the Ceremonies started, one came on where two hockey players were watching a puck drop between them to start the game (in slo-mo, of course), and Morgan Freeman's voice rang, 'At this exact moment, right now, everyone is tied." A squeak involuntarily left my smiling mouth. The world, right then, was all equal. I was rather touched by that idea.
But one of my ultimate favorite parts about the Olympics is that it seems the athletes are (or should be) just playing for one thing - to bring honor to their countries. And to respect and honor the greatness that comes from other countries. I love not having to argue with the person next to me about what "team" I'm rooting for, because we're all on the same side! And the stories of athletes from other countries draw my respect and admiration as well. I can cheer for everyone, at this one time. The underdog is so much more important now than ever before. The inspiring story means more now. The all-or-nothing mentality runs through my veins as much as it does with the athletes. I've loved reading about athletes of the different countries and the unique back stories that come with them into the Olympics. I'm inspired through the hardships and perseverance that these athletes breathe. They make me dream for something more in myself. I will make more of my life than what it is now! And the stories and experiences of my life will perhaps one day be captured in 30-second, slow-motion shots, narrated by Morgan Freeman, to inspire those who will tune in to see.

No comments: