Thursday, January 26, 2012

Public Transit and Complimentary Curse Words

So the other night, I left work a little late. Only 30 minutes, but you'll be amazed at how much less crowded the Metro is at 6:30, compared to 6pm.

When I got into the Metro that night, I saw my train was on the tracks, sitting there with the doors open. I don't usually run to get trains - people who do that just look silly, and so often they just miss it anyway (and you don't want to get stuck in these doors - they don't re-open for you to pull your purse, umbrella, or leg through with you). But trains also don't usually just sit on the track unless they have to wait, so I'm more willing to rush to catch those ones. Because I'm more likely to actually catch it, you see.

So this train was sitting, waiting for its time to go, so I quickly ran through the doors closest to me. I walked all the way to the back of it, and when I realized the train was still not going soon, I walked out the door and got into the next car (being in the right car makes all the difference - I have a specific car I aim for, so when I get to the next station, I get let out right at the escalators. Location is everything).

I don't often risk car-jumping - what if you get off and the doors close and you missed your train you had already caught?! - but I could feel there was time, so it was worth it. I proceeded to walk to the end of that car to be in the best location for my arrival at the next station.

As I walked by two rows of seats, with two young men - friends - sitting in their separate rows, I heard in one exclaim, in not-so-hushed tones:

"DAAAMN!"

I kept walking, knowing that very affectionate "damn" was for me, but refusing any flattery from it because I knew for a fact that my appearance at the time didn't really deserve any complimentary curse words. So I gave all the flattery to my legs, which I'm sure was what he was referring to - they looked rather trim in my long navy blue slacks and maroon ankle boots.

Usually I'll take a seat on such an empty train, but I was a little flustered by the young man's interest in me and my long, luscious legs, so I just went and stood by one of the doors instead. When I stand, I like to survey my surroundings - I actually like doing that anyway on the train, standing or not - so I looked down the rest of the train to see who I was sharing a ride with. As my eyes passed these two young men, the more vocal one smiled at me (it should be noted, his seat faced the other direction, but he was turned completely toward me - partly because his friend behind him had a seat facing my direction, and partly because I was in my direction), and I, as I usually do when I'm slightly flustered, smiled/grimaced back quickly as I continued my eye-sweep of the train.

As the train started moving, the young man smacked the back of the seat next to him, saying loud-ish-ly, "you can sit here!" I assumed he was talking to me, but I thought it best not to respond, or to sit by him, so I forced my eyes to keep looking down the train.

I continued to either look out the window across from me or down the train - I can't keep my eyes focused well when I know someone's trying to get my attention. When it was finally time for me to get off, I somehow kept up the strength to not look at them as I walked off the train, or as I passed by their window, though I knew they were watching me - sheer willpower, that was. They weren't getting off when I was, so that was the last I saw of them.

Sometimes those experiences can creep a girl out. But honestly, it's been awhile since a complete stranger has sworn at me in a good way when I walked by (luckily, it's also been awhile since anyone's sworn at me in a bad way when I walked by). So I have to admit, I was holding back a smile the rest of the way home.

So thanks strange young man and friend. Your un-discerning eye for beauty was really appreciated Monday night. Here's hoping we meet again some day when I'm in need of another little pick-me-up.

1 comment:

Berkley said...

haha I love it! I always feel super self-conscious when I know I'm being stared at, so I'm glad to hear you handled it well. hehe