Saturday, January 21, 2012

It SNOWED!


This was the view outside my window at about 1am last night/this morning.

It had been lightly flurrying the last 3 hours or so, and that was what stuck. I looked out my window just before I went to bed to survey the new white world we were experiencing in Virginia for the first time this Winter.

I'm always struck by the brightness of the sky during a snowfall. At 1 in the morning, it was a pretty pinkish hue, with pockets of dark pushing harder to burst through the soft, snowy white clouds, without ever quite breaking through. It's a somewhat eerily beautiful sight, I think.

When I woke up today, the snow was still on the ground, but less pristine and calming in the light of day. I don't love snow. I like the sight of falling snow, especially at night when I'm all tucked in safely at home. But once it's fallen, I have little love for it. It just looked like an icy mess when I looked at it.

On days like this, I feel absolutely no need to leave my house (so it was a good thing it was a Saturday). I like to completely block out the cold, frozen world outside my front door, choosing instead to live in the warm, heated world of my bedroom.

And so, I spent the day in my pjs, curled up on my couch in my room, reading my book. I took a timeout to clean our kitchen and switch over my laundry, and I tried to clean parts of my room 2 or 3 times, but mostly I just sat and read. I didn't go outside at all until around 7:30 tonight, when my roommates made us dinner plans. And 2.5 hours later, I came home and got right back in my pjs, all ready to go back to my couch and my book.

I love Saturdays like this.

No comments: