Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Maybe I'm Over Exaggerating...

Here's a term that I just now decided to be surprised that I don't hear it more ridiculed for being stupid:

"over exaggerate"

Doesn't that just mean "to exaggerate?"

What's the point of the "over?"

In full disclosure, I should admit that this question came to mind because while I was getting ready for bed tonight, I thought about something that happened this evening, and I started exaggerating something, and when I mentally reacted to my explanation, I asked myself whether or not I might be "over exaggerating." And then myself responded with a question of whether that was necessary to include the "over." This mental debate went on for the whole 3 minutes of brushing my teeth.

I recognize that I have strange inner conflicts with myself.

At any rate.

I thought this deserved a quick search for truth.

Thank you, Urban Dictionary, everyone's new favorite authority on definitions:

1.overexaggerate
To exaggerate, overemphasize, overstate. An idiom. The 'over' is added unnecessarily and its usage is virtually always synonymous with a mere 'exaggerate', rather than a different word, as 'exaggerate' is not a neutral usage verb like the word 'do'. There is no threshold for the word 'exaggerate', so it is not possible to overdo. To 'overexaggerate' is to 'overoverstate'.
Only idiots say overexaggerate.
2.overexaggerate
To go beyond anticipated exaggeration.
Loren overexaggerated when she claimed she exaggerates a million times a second, when previously she stated, "I exaggerate 100 times a day."
Their well-crafted example sentences explain it best.

No comments: