Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Better Week Than Expected - So Far

Well, I must admit, I was feeling rather stressed last week. This time last Thursday, my journal got to hear all the anxieties and worries about the upcoming week as I sat on a plane bound for Utah (I'll spare you the dreary boring-ness). But a week later, I can say I've been able to cross off a few of my more high-stress worries, and I feel so much lighter and happier for it!

Side note: Props to mom & dad and friends for keeping my Utah trip low-key and stress-free. I barely worried about my upcoming DC anxieties the whole extended weekend trip. Thanks for keeping me distracted, relaxed, and in vacation mode!

The biggest of my concerns, and therefore the greatest of my reliefs, had been finding a new place to live. I'm not sure if you recall, but I've had my share of problems with my current housing situation, and my lease was up as of TODAY. As of Monday, I had no new home to call my own, and had very little options come up in my search. I was also being slightly particular (but really, not that particular) about where I was going to move and what I wanted, but still - not much in the way of female housing options were coming up AT ALL this Summer, so I was a little nervous about how this was going to play out.

BUT, Tuesday proved to be a friend of mine - which was surprising, as Tuesdays have been my "I'll get you, and your little dog, too" days for the last 2 years or so - and things suddenly came together before I even fully realized it! So now I have a new home! So while I'm typing this from my old room, which now belongs to some girl named Julie, though she won't be here until Saturday, I technically now no longer live in a freezing, bug-infested basement! HOORAY!

Now I live in a warm, hopefully non-bug-infested attic. One day I'll live in a regular room in a normal area of a house.

The new room is a good-sized space that could be something really interesting, if I can tap into my creative juices enough to do something with it. But here's the best part about it. It's 2 blocks from church, and about 8 minutes walking distance from the Metro! Goodbye bus with the strangest schedule ever! Goodbye 15 minute ride in the morning that too often got me to the Metro just in time to watch my train pull away! Goodbye evenings that kept me waiting at the bus stop forever if I left work at the wrong time or wanted to meet someone for dinner! More sadly, goodbye to my bus boyfriends - I truly will miss you and the non-verbal conversations I had with you in my head, the slight sideways glances that I "knew" were for me (because, duh, how could they not be?), the shy distance we kept from each other while riding the bus. Sigh, you truly will be missed...

All this said, I hate moving, so my excitement these last 2.5 days has been somewhat tempered by the realization that I have too much junk (most of which is actually not junk at all...), and I don't know how I'm going to move my bed to the new place. Plus, in a strange way, I'll miss this place a little bit. It was the 1st home I had on the East coast. The neighborhood is kind of cute. It's oh so close to the grocery store. But I'm looking forward to waving buh-bye to the mega-spiders (of which, luckily I haven't seen in a while) and mutant millipedes.

I'll share some good pictures with you when I've finally figured out how to handle my new place. But I just wanted to share with you all how very happy I am to know I have a place to lay my head at night, moving forward. And I think I accomplished more than that here - aren't you glad I'm not going through the whole list of stresses that my journal had to endure holding??

No comments: