Thursday, September 29, 2011

Go Brewers! Time to Get Interested in Baseball, I Guess...

So I went to a Red Sox baseball game on Tuesday. NBD*
(*Note: mom and dad, NBD means no big deal. just in case you didn't know...)

Why is it that it seems more impressive or like a bigger deal if I say I went to a Red Sox or Yankees baseball game than when I say I went to a Nationals or Orioles game? (the Sox were playing the Baltimore Orioles, so technically I did go to an Orioles game, too - but doesn't that just not sound as cool?)

I suppose it's because there's so much  history in these two organizations, as far as baseball goes. I don't know much about baseball (or rather, until Tuesday and yesterday, I didn't know much about baseball. Now I know loads of stuff about America's first favorite pastime), but I still know the Yankees and the Red Sox decently. I know their recent game history, going back to 2004 or so - the year the Red Sox won their first World Series in decades, incidentally. (I didn't really remember that before, but my friend discussed how this 2004 win affected his life on the way to the game, so now that fact is ingrained in my head - and yours now, too, hopefully).

Speaking of baseball and the World Series - the Milwaukee Brewers are still in the running for it! What?! I don't think I've been able to say that in a really long time (if ever - I definitely know I haven't ever physically uttered that phrase before, but let's be honest, I didn't often speak about the the World Series in general, in my past life). It feels good to hear the Brew Crew's name uttered on Sportscenter, and have it be positive, or something more than, "playing against the Brewers, Team (insert club) hit 5 home runs and went on to win the game 25-2, sweeping the series against them." It's a nice change.

And watching the Red Sox game in Baltimore was a lot of fun. I was with 2 friends of mine who are big Red Sox fans, so I've had to adopt them as my team away from home, and I know so much about baseball after sitting at that game with them. Plus, the Red Sox won. I've found that I'm a pretty decent good luck charm when I attend baseball games. The Nationals won both games I went to this Summer - and they won that 2nd one in such a dramatic fashion, it made baseball actually exciting for a moment.

Of course, when I watch baseball on tv, the luck might as well be flushed down the toilet and eaten by the sewer rats - I have the opposite record this way. 0-2. The Red Sox lost yesterday - and not only did they lose a game they really shouldn't have lost, but then the team they were battling for the wild card spot for the playoffs, the Tampa Bay Rays, went from losing to the Yankees 7-0, to scoring 8 runs in the last 3 innings and  winning 8-7, thus fully eliminating the Sox. So not only did the Sox lose, but they kind of lost twice in the space of about 15 minutes.

So sad.

Sorry about that, team.

But now I can fully and singularly cheer for the Brewers - go on boys, make me proud!

No comments: