Tuesday, September 13, 2011

On Long Days and Loud Squirrels. And a Favorite Song.

Umm...so it's been a really long week so far. And I don't have so very much confidence that the next 3 days will be any lighter/better/faster. I'm hopeful, but even my hope is rather dampened by reality.

That said, I haven't had much going on besides work. I got home at 7:45 tonight. Not my favorite, but I got a lot done, so I actually can't complain too much about it, despite it adding to the length of the day.

But, unlike the impression I'm giving off already, I'm trying to stop complaining about it. I had a whole month of doing absolutely nothing at work, so it's about time I made up for that.

Yesterday, when I was walking home from the metro after the first of the week's long days (and what a joy it was to walk home - yay for moving!), I passed by a squirrel munching on an acorn. Turns out, squirrels are extremely loud eaters. I kept trying to figure out where this weird squeaking sound was coming from. After looking around the park I walk through for about 5 minutes, I finally spotted the squirrel sitting right next to my path (which took me so long to notice, partly because squirrels seem to camouflage well into tree-heavy areas, partly because I'm 100% blind when I'm actually looking for something specific). It was working intently on an acorn in its hands, and I haven't seen a squirrel seem so content in my life. It helped calm me down, and for that, squirrel, I'm in your debt. I'll pay you back with loads of acorns to burrow up for the winter.

Strange how such a little moment can make bring work a profound change on my mindset.

Well, that, and my go-to song to drum out my drearies:

The Head and the Heart - Lost In My Mind

This song alone has made the last 9 months of my life so lovely. Pure happiness comes with the maraca and foot pedal at 1:32. Pure freedom comes with the piano at 3:18.

No comments: