Saturday, September 24, 2011

Zumba Saturday!

I went to a Zumba class today.

And I LOVED it.

Aside from the fact that, ever since moving back to a life of humidity, I sweat buckets whenever I do anything.

BUCKETS.

But when I decided not to let my glandular embarrassment hinder my Zumba groove, I really enjoyed the class.

I dance around my room all the time anyway, acting like I know how to bust a move or two, so it seems like the natural workout for me, when I think about it.

Sometimes dancing around my room at night gets my heart rate up faster and longer than going running - because sometimes when I go running, I decide to walk instead. And when I walk, I actually just stroll. I enjoy my walks better at a slower pace.

Gold's Gym is doing a September promotional where members can bring a guest to the gym for free, for classes, working out, whatever. My friend just told me about this promotional, so in the next week, we're going to take advantage of this as much as we can.

Another friend met up with us, and the 3 of us shook and shimmied as much as we could for 60 minutes in a very warm workout room, with some other women who showed no sign of innate latin swag in their hips either. So I didn't feel so stupid.

I used to think that I have rhythm, that I have groove.

I don't.

At least, not very much.

But I have decent hip action, when I'm not concentrating on doing what the teacher's telling us to do.

Actually, if I can toss some of this humility - I think I actually did pretty well.

It helped that our teacher used lots of different dance specialties in her workout for us. It wasn't all just latin dance moves.

I did better with the moves akin to club dancing.

And anything that had a bounce or jump to it. I can't swish my hips, but I've got a good bounce.

But I'll never be good at shimmying.

I try really hard, but it's just not there. I can't get the shimmy down. Mom tried to teach me to shimmy when I was in high school (scandalous!), but I couldn't do it then.

And I can't do it now.

(Sad face)

But I really liked Zumba.

(Happy face)

I think I will go back.

When Gold's Gym invites me to come for free again.

So...next year.

Until then, I'll just keep dancing in my room.

Except I live in the attic now, not the basement.

Sorry, roommates.

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

I now have a visual of Claudette doing the shimmy - you have an awesome mom!