Saturday, May 1, 2010

Inspirational Movie Marathon

It would seem that, on a day when I desperately need inspiration to put together a decent Relief Society lesson for Church (on a topic of my choosing, no less), every television broadcasting company came together and decided to play every inspirational sports movie they could think of. The Legend of Bagger Vance, catching the end of The Great Debaters, most of Glory Road. We Are Marshall. The Karate Kid.

I'm in heaven.

Blame it on growing up with brothers and a dad who were always watching and playing sports, and my need as a little sister to always tag along, but I have a super soft spot for sports movies. And make it an inspirational story - it might be one of only 2 things to make my tear ducts work (the other is irrational frustration at stupid, petty problems).

I'm loving the boost from this, and really, the lessons these movies are teaching are rather close to what I'm planning on teaching for my lesson. It's like a little blessing from above...by the satellites that bring me such enjoyable prongramming.

My biggest concern, though, is that all of this is going to make me sound almost cheesy tomorrow to a room full of 100 girls. I like to try to sound inspirational, but I'm almost positive I just come off as cheesy. But I'm hoping and praying that I can fool those girls tomorrow into believing that cheesy is inspirational. Hopefully they'll go with me on the idea of what I'm talking about, and perhaps they can just ignore how I'm talking about it.

Only other concern is this. It's currently 3:45pm MDT on Saturday (the day before Sunday, for those who like the obvious pointed out to them), my lesson needs to be ready by no later than 11:15am MDT tomorrow (which happens to be less than 24 hours away), and I have formally written out 1/3 of said lesson since I began at 10:30am MDT. Having thought about this lesson for the last 2 weeks (and knowing for 6 months that I would be teaching sometime or other), I really don't think it should take 7 hours to write 1/3 of a lesson...but I don't do this too often, so maybe it does.

Being here doesn't seem to be getting my lesson written either, though, so I'll take partial blame as well. But only if I can take it with a southern accent - most of these movies seem to involve the South, so I'm learning that inspiration is stronger down south, coming from thicker accents. Perhaps I'll teach my lesson with a southern accent as well - make the words go farther, you know?

Yes'm, it's decided. Wish me luck y'all, this lesson's gonnabe bigger than a greased pig chase in a Kin-tucky Walmart!

2 comments:

*Abby* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*Abby* said...

you really should be spending more time down here in Are-Kansas! It is quite inspiring! It's inspired me not to settle in Pine Bluff! Plus you've got the accent down pat! You might as well live here! Now git lesson planning!