Friday, May 21, 2010

I Wanna Be....Kate

I kind of really love this song by Ben Folds, and I think it's a great theme song for me. A boy played this for me on a date once - I was quickly overwhelmed by both his taste in music and his taste in girls (I mean, helllloooooo!).

Can't you see how the song is a perfect, sometimes literal, sometimes figurative, representation of moi? Yo, check it:

(Kate, by Ben Folds)
She plays wipeout on the drums

the squirrels and the birds come
Gather around to sing the guitar

Oh I...have you got nothing to say

When all words fail she speaks
Her mix tape's a masterpiece
Walks through the garden
so the roses can see
Oh I...have you got nothing to say

And you can see the daisies
in her footsteps
Dandelions, butterflies
I wanna be Kate


Everyday she wears the same thing
I think she smokes pot

She's everything I want, She's everything I'm not
Oh. I...
Have you got nothing to say

She never gets wet
She smiles and it's a rainbow
And she speaks and she breathes
I wanna be Kate

Down by the Rosemary and Cary
She hands out the Bhagavad-Gita
I see her around every couple days
I wanna see her so that
I can say...hey Kate


She never gets wet
She smiles and it's a rainbow
Oh oh...You can see
I wanna wanna wanna wanna be
Kate, Kate, Kate, Kate, Kate, Kate
No, no, no, no, no

Okay...so perhaps it's not all spot on. I don't smoke pot, and I don't pass out the Bhagavad-Gita to people - I keep my only copy in my bookcase, next to my books on Buddhist meditation and Hindu philosophy (seriously). BUT my mix tapes really are rather spectacular, and I'm pretty sure flowers do perk up as I pass; you know, they lift so many people's moods - I'm just trying to return the favor.

So thanks, Ben F. Thank you for recognizing the greatness that my co-workers tell me about everyday. And for making a song about it. Now I really can walk around with a theme song playing as I go, the wind tossing around my hair in rhythm.

Well, if that wasn't enough of a self-esteem booster...you just need those every once in a while. And my 'every once in a while' seems to be a little more often than the average person...

No comments: