Thursday, May 20, 2010

Are You My Funny?

I think work has made me dull. I don't have as many thoughts as I swear I used to, I don't make up as many random stories in my mind throughout the day, and I may, quite possibly, be not as funny as I thought I was.

But I'm pretty sure I'm funny. Maybe I've lost the ability to be funny to other people, though what they can't seem to see as funny when I share it with them is definitely still really funny. Like today, I was laughing at myself for a good 25 minutes while I tried to get my boss and his client some lunch - it took me just as long to go get 2 sodas as it did for me to order and pick up 2 sandwiches! Man, I couldn't catch a break... But then when I tried to explain how funny it all was - and therefore how funny I was - it wasn't that funny. At least not according to co-worker Elizabeth. She only gave me a bit of a pity laugh and my customary "oh Kate, you are silly, always wasting my time with odd 'you had to be there' stories. What a sweet little child" smile. That happened twice today.

Maybe she just doesn't 'get' funny.

Is that what's actually wrong here?

It's not that I'm actually not really super strong in humor...it's that my audience doesn't 'get' funny!

Except that's not true. Co-worker Elizabeth is really funny. I laugh at her A LOT. (Hi E, in case you're reading!) And she actually laughs at me a lot, too. Perhaps more than I usually expect on an average day. Maybe...just maybe...I'm actually hilarious! Naturally!

Maybe today was just an off-day for the audience. Friday will be better.

I know I'll be laughing at myself, at least. But I usually am.

No comments: