Saturday, June 30, 2012

About Last Night



That was last weekend.

This weekend? Picture less sand and more fallen trees.

We were pleasantly surprised by a lovely thunderstorm last night. A storm with "a history of hurricane-like winds," according the giddy meteorologist who kept interrupting my Olympic gymnastic trials last night.

It was that guy's 15 minutes of fame, I shouldn't rag on him.

Luckily, no trees fell on our house, no electricity was knocked out (it flickered a few times and turned my Olympic trials off a few times - seriously, I just want to watch my gymnastics! - but nothing permanent, thankfully), no flooding or anything of a devastating nature happened to us and our house.

SO, it was actually a really cool storm to watch. Since nothing happened that we had to fix. Some other friends of mine were not so lucky at being able to just enjoy the amazing power of nature.

Seriously, this storm had it all - green lighting, powerful winds whistling at the windows, walls of horizontal rain, claps of thunder. It was awesome! One of my roommates had come home roughly 2 minutes before the storm hit our house, and we had no idea it was coming until it was directly over us. So we watched through the windows and giggled in nervous excitement at every thunderclap. At one point, the lightning was flashing in the windows like a strobe light - consistent flashing for a good 3 minutes. INTENSE.

And then it kind of died down, and I decided my attic room would be safe enough, because the meteorologist had claimed it's center had passed our county. I slept blissfully.

In my last dream before I woke up this morning, I dreamt I was back at work, but my dad and uncle were there - apparently, it was their office now. I looked out the window in our back office and bright red and orange leaves were covering the ground - apparently it was Autumn? - and the sky had gone from this clear blue to thick, deep red clouds covering the entire sky, and we were in the midst of a giant storm. I tried to get a picture of it, but by the time I got my camera ready, the clouds were suddenly dispersing, and only a few red clouds remained.

Then I went into our main office (the congressman's office, in real life), and uncle Stephen was there, taking a nap on this GIANT couch, which I recognized as a new addition to the room. I'm still not really sure what that was supposed to mean...

But that storm made an impact on me. It might not have knocked out my house's electricity, but it still made its presence felt here.

And now that I'm awake, it's time to take a walk around the neighborhood and see what neighbors weren't so lucky. I've already heard of a few trees being brought to their metaphorical knees, and some roads being closed due to them, so time to see what we're working with.

No comments: