Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It's National Running Day!

Guys, today, Wednesday, June 6th, is National Running Day.

Why does running have its own national day, you ask? Well, because just about everything else has its own day/month, so why would running be any different? American Wetlands Month? International Friendship Day? (I know what shirt I'll be wearing for that one!) Potty Training Awareness Month? There's even a World Naked Bike Ride month - I didn't include the link to that one...

So why not National Running Day?

I can't believe we didn't hold this day sacred in the Barlow household growing up. For all I've ever said about us being a "running family" growing up, we didn't celebrate it at all! I'm going to go out on a limb here and blame my general antipathy toward consistent running regimens on the fact that we didn't celebrate running once a year with the rest of the nation. If we had, I might enjoy running more, and also be more patriotic.

But starting this year, 2012, I am starting a tradition. Running on National Running Day. If anyone is looking for me, they can search outside, because I'm taking it to the streets! I will be found pounding (lightly) some pavement this evening - 1-3 miles of slow to medium-paced running. Because I like traditions and I like celebrating National days, but I don't really like running for long periods of time. Plus, my audiobook is getting close to ending, and my run can only last as long as the book goes for, or else I'm bored, so...

So go put on your running shoes and go run! Run to your mailbox and back! Run to the pool on this fine Summer day! Run into Target! Run however long/short you want, but come run with me!

Come with me! I'll be the girl running in these hot things:
Yeah that's right. Bright Pink, baby! They may or may not glow in the dark, they're so freaking bright!

No comments: