Friday, June 22, 2012

S.I.M.P: Squirrels in My Park!




How many squirrels can you spot in the picture above?

Remember those old games in the Highlights magazines that were the only good thing about going to the dentist's office? That's what this picture reminded me of. Except weirder, because it was real life. And it was all squirrels. It's also kind of like a graduate or adult version of this game because instead of really bright colors hiding bright red apples and vibrant blue school books, it's earth tones with gray squirrels that camouflage into the scenery...

I was walking home from work the other day, and I was about to head into the park that I cut through on my way home. As I started on the path, I looked to my right and saw a convention of squirrels running around in this little area, doing things that squirrels do. It reminded me of those lame 90's movies, and myriad children's animated shows, where a character makes 20 clones of him/herself to get everything done in a timely manner. There were all these squirrels, which look exactly alike, just inches and feet from each other, searching for nuts and stale bread, or branches to carry around, or just chasing each other around. It was a really mind-boggling sight, for some reason (it had been a long day at work. Everything was weird to me).

As I stopped and stared at them, I thought I should take a picture of this. But then I started walking, and when the thought to actually, physically take a picture really set in, I had already passed the gaggle of squirrels.

But second chances abound in this world!

I had only walked maybe 10 feet, when I came across another squirrel-palooza on my left. So I did stop this time to take a picture. What the picture didn't capture was the squirrel that was slowly inching towards me on the path, wondering if I was friendly. Obviously, this area is a very heavily-trafficked spot, with lots of children whose parents allow them to feed the animals (there are no sign saying not to!), so the squirrels are friendly. This one got rather close to my feet, looking for handouts. To which I responded, "You want a handout? Here's a handout - go get a real job like the rest of us tax-paying citizens!!" Just kidding, I didn't say that. I would've looked like a crazy person! Also I didn't think of that response until I was walking away. But I did get my picture, and then laughed at how funny I thought the sight was. BREAKING NEWS: Squirrels are taking over DC and surrounding areas! And I, for one, welcome our new rodent overlords.

Anyway...

I got my picture, and then I returned to my walk home.

And about 5 feet later, I almost got run off the path by 3 cute little chipmunks playing tag. I did not get a picture of them. They're speedy little vermin!

Oh, and just in case you wanted to see if you counted the right amount of squirrels, the answer key is below:


There are 13 squirrels in this picture. Probably more than 13 actually - I just only found 13 in my perusal...)

And just in case anyone reading this is not my sister and therefore didn't know what the title to this post was referring to, let me send you here. This show may have some of the best music breakouts I know of...just sayin'.

No comments: