Wednesday, July 4, 2012

This is Our Independence Day!

I'm such a fan of the 4th of July. What a great holiday Independence Day is!

This year, I started celebrating on Independence Eve, with a 3-hour workday (which I could very easily get on board with everyday), followed by a relaxing and serene rafting ride down the Potomac River - the area we went to was picturesque.

Also picturesque was my side-dive into the river, courtesy of a friend of mine who had jumped out of the water and then surprised me by pulling me out with him awhile later. It wasn't quite how I had planned to get into the river, but it was effective, I suppose. I like to think it was a nice barrel roll. But I don't have many witnesses - most everyone else I was with had already jumped out and were swimming in front of our raft. All they noticed was my very loud, girlish scream of shock. 

I also fell flat on my bum trying to walk over some rocks in the water, but let's be honest, that was expected. I'm surprised I didn't fall more, actually. 

It was seriously gorgeous on the Potomac this afternoon/evening while we were out there. So quiet and calm, so striking in the peace the area commanded. There were a few different moments when we were all silent as a group, and the gentle serenity of our surroundings covered me like a warm blanket. It was so enervating to my heart and rejuvenating for my soul.

After the river, some of our group raced home, threw on some clothes, and tried to get to the Capitol for the Capitol concert rehearsal of the concert that will happen tomorrow. We got there late, and as we stopped for a very quick bite to eat, the sky started raining fat drops of water, so the concert was brought to a halt and we slowed our eating down to reflect the lack of rush we had now. 

Since we were in DC, I suggested we do something there before returning home again, so we went over to the Jefferson Memorial, which is beautiful at night. We caught some fireworks far across the Tidal Basin, and just enjoyed the beautiful evening we had.

Then we went to a friend's house, where a group was watching my personal favorite, Independence Day. I was extremely excited to watch this, because it's become my tradition to watch the speech the President of the USA makes just before the final battle. I love it so much, I can barely handle it. 

We will not go quietly into the night! We will not go down without a fight!

Love it so much.

As it happened, that part of the movie occurred as midnight had come and gone, bringing us our actual 4th of July. Fate, it would seem, gave us the best start to our Independence Day. I'm feeling so patriotic right now, it's not even finny.

I'm also feeling rather exhausted. It's a good 90 minutes into the 4th, and I need to go to bed so I don't waste my whole holiday sleeping...

We're starting the day early-ish anyway, with a pancake breakfast at a friend's, and then the rest of the day is unscripted. What I do know is that I will go to a bbq, because that's what Americans do on the 4th of July, and then I will watch some fireworks somewhere. Maybe at the Jefferson Memorial. Maybe near the Capitol. Somewhere amazing. We'll find out where that is when it comes, I suppose.

And so I'll leave you with my best wishes for the happiest of Independence Days to you. I hope your day is just wonderful and awe-inspiring. I hope you feel a love for your country, like I've felt these last few days particularly. I hope you get to enjoy a good burger right off the grill. I hope you can spend time in the beautiful land we have. I hope you have beautiful fireworks, who's power and blast shake your body and soul with pride and happiness. 

This is your Independence Day, friends! Happy 4th!

No comments: