Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fashion Taste and Teenage Boys

A rather effeminate 15-year old young man told me on the metro today that he really liked my purse - he liked the yellow and the design. It was a really great bag, he said.

I smiled, sincerely and appreciatively thanked him, then, not knowing if I should engage in some additional banter about my choosing that purse, or how it's been dyed blue in places from my winter coat, the train pulled up to my stop and I gratefully moved past my pondering on how to engage in idle chit-chat and walked out of the train.

I went out one door; he and his two super skinny jean-ed friends went out the other door.

I could have responded with something like, "I like your one earring" or "I like how skinny your legs look in your painted on jeans - I'd love to have legs like that," but it felt like one of those moments where returning a compliment for a compliment seemed a little too trite and concocted.

Plus, I really couldn't think of anything else to respond with - a compliment about my purse from a teenage boy is a new experience for me. My brain didn't process it into a normal situation quickly enough.

But you better believe I'm taking that compliment - I'll gladly accept any and every compliment to my sense of style or taste, no matter the source from whence it came.

I swear I don't lack self-confidence...

No comments: