Tuesday, August 31, 2010

And I'm Off!

I leave for my giant new adventure tomorrow...and I have NO idea what I'm getting myself into.

It finally hit me tonight - the nerves. Someone asked me what I was going out to DC for, and my answer was, "Currently? I have no clue." I don't plan on starting school until Spring, I have no job prospects yet (though that will hopefully change when I'm there), I don't know anyone really. I have a cousin there, but shoot, I barely know him. All I'm clinging to there, is the email promise that he would take good care of me and be my friend. Which I'm very grateful for.

But overall picture: I'm going to an unknown place I've never been to before, to live with 2 girls I've never met, and hopefully do something really good with my life out there, though I couldn't tell you what that good will be.

Needless to say, I'm absolutely stoked about moving :).

It's been an interesting process leading up to this. Nothing has really been holding me here in Utah. Everything in my head has been screaming "LEAVE! TRY SOMETHING NEW!" And so I dove into this decision with enthusiasm and excitement.

Then I went to a little goodbye shindig for me tonight, where I played my last game of sand volleyball for the summer with great people, and so many of my friends came out to make sure they could say goodbye (or to play/watch some volleyball and get treats, but we'll pretend they all came for the former reason), and I became really sad that I'm leaving! I was impressed with how many people came out tonight to stop by and say hi/bye. I really appreciated everyone.

I've made some really awesome friends out here, and they're rather irreplacable. And when I think about it that way, I've made a stupid decision to leave my favorite people on the earth just to go try something new.

So I've stopped thinking about it that way. It's easier for me then.

Honestly, I am really pumped to explore and experience something completely new and adventurous for me. The funny thing is, the part I'm most nervous about is not finding a job or figuring everything out for school. It's the idea of making new friends. And tonight reinforced that nervousness in me. I've got some pretty high standards based on the friends I have here - these DC/Arlington people are gonna have to step it up if they're going to even compare!

But I'm optimistic for them. I'm not expecting them to actually make it up the standard I hold - my friends are, after all, an elite group in the world. But I'm hopeful they'll be great, too, in their own way.

And at any rate, they've got a good week to prepare for my friendship - because though I'm leaving Utah, DC won't get me for another week+. I've got a palooza to attend first. And that makes leaving my friends a little more bearable, when I'm heading right to Party Central. It's the main event of the Summer, and I can't pass that up.

Barlowpalooza 2010, here I come! Wisconsin or BUST! (Hopefully not bust...I'd rather not bust...)

No comments: