Friday, September 10, 2010

Old Houses Can Make Some Scary Noises...

Well, I made it.

Now I'm just waiting for my stupid eyes to let out the tears that usually want to come the first night in a new place.

Like I've said before, my tear ducts need a major repair.

So I'm sitting on my new bed with a slight headache, unsure what to do with myself, feeling a little emotionally unstable, but knowing I'm also extremely tired after a 12 hour drive from Wisconsin.

Can I just say, my brother Chris is AWESOME! All of my siblings are just so cool - a fact that was re-asserted this weekend during Barlowpalooza 2010 (we felt you there, Abby!) - but Chris, as well as his wife Jodi, deserve a special shout-out for taking such great care of me this last week and a half, getting me prepared for my move, and then moving me. Chris and his two boys made a roadtrip out of my move, and we spent all day today, from 5:30am to 6:56pm on the road. Chris, you're the best, thanks so much for getting me out here and settled in! Ben, Zach, and Abby - thanks for keeping up with us during the drive, we made it! You're all great!

And Jim Dale, you deserve a huge thanks as well; thanks for reading the Harry Potter series with such enthusiasm and energy. Your changes of voice for each character and your care for the stories make those books so great to listen to, as well as a perfect long roadtrip treat. Between that and a whole lot of "Dynamite" from Taio Cruz (thanks to Max and Chloe, that song may be going on vacation on my playlists for a little while...), we got to DC safe and sound, and happy.

Some of the other standout memories from this epic roadtrip:
     Caleb throwing up out the window during Chicago's early morning stop-and-go rush hour traffic, right when a convertible porsche was passing us - he missed the porsche, in case you were wondering.
     Max asking if we were almost to DC just after we got out of Chicago...
     Beating Chris past the Ohio state line, woohoo!
     Seeing a sign for a llama farm, with the headline "Llamas for sale!" This might've only been noticed by me.
     Max asking if we were almost there with every new state we entered (and every 20 minutes once we hit Pennsylvania, or Pennsyl, as he liked to call it).

My nephews were great, and they really managed the long, long drive well, despite a rocky start. I hope their return home is as speedy and enjoyable as well. Luckily, we get to play and tour DC tomorrow, so they'll get a day out of the car, walking around the Capitol, before they have to return.

Speaking of tomorrow, I should get to bed so I have enough energy for it. Staying up wondering why I decided to come out to this random place, looking around my little room with no idea how to unpack is not the best thing for me right now, I think. The vent in my room rattles, and there was a weird clicking noise for awhile (once I remembered Cat is back with Zach and Jamie, I got really concerned about a giant rat - not sure why, since there was no sign of one when I was moving stuff around in my room. How easily we scare ourselves in new places...). I'm confident I'll get used to the sounds eventually, but right now they're just making me more disconcerted, so I really ought to go to bed, and let my imagination take me somewhere far away in my dreams. Last night I had a dream that I got dragged into the spy world, after having watched a weird spy movie early in the evening, so we'll see if my dreams can actually take me far away, or if it just creates a more morphed, strange version of my current life...

But honestly, I don't think I can say it enough - huge, huge thanks to Chris, and to Jodi, for being so great. You rock!

Okay, now I'm going to go to bed - time to go cry myself to sleep on my huge pilla (scottish accent for pillow) - what movie? Anyone?

"So I Married an Axe Murderer" is right! Nice job! Okay, seriously, I'm going to bed now...

No comments: