Thursday, September 16, 2010

What's the Point of Hiccups Anyway? They seem as useless as mosquitoes...

Have you ever had the hiccups loud enough that they echo in your room?

Hiccups are so weird - for one thing, writing out the word always makes me think of hippos; I automatically want to write hippos instead of hiccups. For another thing, there are so many varieties. The ones that are barely noticeable, they just barely catch your breath. The silent ones, which just makes you look stupid when you have to pause to finish your sentence, and everyone looks at you funny for the way your stomach bounces randomly. The ones that really hurt everytime you hiccup, like you've been punched in the chest. And the really, really, really loud ones, which always come during the quietest moment in church, or silence a room full of people.

I'm suffering from the last kind. So I'm sitting here on my bed, hiccupping these super loud hiccups, experiencing the momentary spasms through my torso accompanying each one, praying that I won't wake up my roommate in her room across from mine. I hope she's a deep sleeper.

And that's about the biggest update I can give you about my time in DC so far. I've got hiccups loud enough to wake the dead, and my hair is frizzy. I may have mentally been ready to adjust to this change, but I'm apparently struggling with the transition physically.

On the plus side, I went for a run this morning (a short run/walk, if we're being honest) and I found my way back home after! Yay! I was really nervous I'd get lost and never make it back. And I passed a guy sitting on his bike twice - same guy, in the same place, me in two different spots. I felt like I was in one of those movie scenes where there's a chase happening, and the characters keep running through different rows and aisles in a small space. You know what I'm talking about? I first passed him as I ran eastbound, and the next time I saw him I was going southbound through the same 4-way stop. I laughed to myself when I passed him a second time, and then I got worried that he was a spy watching for suspicious activity (everyone is a spy out here, you know), so I wiped the smile off my face and ran far from that spot as quick as I could. Last thing I need right now is a spy on my tail. That would be too much excitement for me in such a new place. Maybe it would've been fine back when I was in Utah and knew my way around a little more, but not now in this new place.

Oh, and I got my last suitcase unpacked today! Now I just need to figure out where to put it...as well as all the clothes I pulled out of it. Something tells me on top of my bed isn't the best storage solution.

And now I've just sneezed twice, with the hiccups sitting in my throat, waiting. I tell you, that's a strange sensation - hiccupping and sneezing together. Something tells me I should just go to bed and hope I'm cured by the time I wake up in the morning...Perhaps I'll do something tomorrow worth mentioning. Or perhaps not. Well, if anything, I should hopefully have something fun to say after the weekend, so I'll see what I can do that I can find worth reporting to you!

Oh, and P.S. According to the time zone that I'm in, it's officially my dad's birthday today! Happy Birthday, Pop Pop! I hope you have a wonderful day! Tell me where you want to go eat for your birthday, and I'll go there and conference call you and mom, and it will be like we're celebrating together! Bear in mind, I really only have a Pizza Hut nearby - birthday lunch buffet?

No comments: