Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Typical Thursday Evening Conversation with Strangers

Tonight, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work to stock up on hot cocoa accessories - I was going to be catching up with some dear friends over hot chocolate, and I wanted to make sure we were fully equipped to enjoy our drinks. It's been freezing over here the last few days, so I was looking forward to thawing out with some delicious cocoa, with all the whipped cream and marshmallows I could fill and refill my cup with.

As I walked through the parking lot to the store, I had a nice encounter with a youngish man whom I passed by. With luscious braids (or dreadlocks? I can't be sure, it was dark) and a lumbering sort of gait, he seemed friendly enough as he said, "Hey, how you doing'?"

"I'm good, thanks," I responded.

"Yeah, I can see that," He agreed as he looked me up and down, confirming my response to himself.

Torn between being disgusted as an amateur feminist who won't take no crap from no one, and laughing because I've always been generally pretty amiable to such hijinks, I decided to remain silent.

I also may have stayed silent because I just don't know what you say to that. Also because his next comment came too fast:

"You got a man in your life, baby?"

My brain responded "Nope," but for the first time in my life, my voice ignored my mind:

"Sure do, sorry!"

"Hey that's okay, lady," he replied, as I strode off and crossed the rest of the parking lot to the store.

It wasn't a total lie, and I was just proud I had been quick enough to tell a mostly-truth in a situation where that's totally warranted. And I was glad to hear that my manners remained intact, since I apologized for disappointing him. He took it well enough, too, so I thought the conversation went as well as it possibly could've.

I was also pretty impressed with the fact that he wanted to hit on a girl in a big ole coat, thick scarf, earmuffs, with a number of layers underneath it all. Modest is hottest, y'all!

I may have walked through the store with a little more swagger and hip action after that pick-me-up.

As much as this gentleman just made me feel like such a precious, beautiful woman with value and worth, he barely holds a candle to the man in CVS on Christmas Eve, who was standing a few feet behind me at the photo kiosk, who may have used the best line I've ever been addressed with. His awareness of the time of year and his desire to compliment were both really appreciated, as he got my attention with:

"Mmm girl, if I found you under my Christmas tree, I wouldn't need nothing else."(Cue quick lip lick and a second look up and down)

So sweet and romantic, my heart almost leapt from my chest into his awaiting arms.

But I pulled it back in and showed my appreciation for such a compliment as best I could by not turning around and acknowledging him at all.

I hope he knows that was my best Christmas present that year.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm so sad I missed your personal recap of this conversation!! Who's the man in your life that's not a total lie? Have you been withholding information from me?

Berkley said...

hahahha loved this blog entry!! Dang girl, you've got it going on!