Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Mixed Feelings About Today

So today it became official that my boss is the new chairman of a house committee. It's a pretty big deal. We found out yesterday, but it was ratified and finalized today. The office has been pretty excited and exciting since yesterday afternoon.

Today I also chatted with my old boss's successor, who happened to pop into our office today. I met him months ago, in the old office, and while he didn't remember that meeting (obviously - why would he?!), he was very sweet and chatted with me for a few minutes on his way out. Such a nice guy, I'm excited for him to be out here, and hope for only the best for him.

Today I also got a phone call from a congressman - like, he personally called the office and asked to speak to me. ME! My intern had to repeat that a few times before I understood and believed it. He was calling regarding something he had spoken to my boss about earlier, so it wasn't just because he knew I was a great conversationalist (although he knows now!), but still. How many of you have had congressmen call your office and ask for you specifically? That's what I thought.

And then today I came home from work with a terrible migraine and just wished my head would explode already. That pressure and the waiting for the explosion is just the worst. I barely made it home without dying on the metro, embraced the cold air I had just cursed out hours before, and then landed on my bed and took a 20 minute nap before having to get up and go somewhere.

So...I have mixed feelings about today. Socializing with congressmen? Cool. Feeling a jackhammer digging into the back of your skull? Not cool. And if that's going to be the result of socializing with congressmen from here on out - NO THANK YOU. I can do without it.

In other news, my niece's friend, Gingy Man, will be visiting me soon and I CAN'T WAIT to show him around. He's going to make everyone want to visit me in DC after they see all the swag he comes home with. Just. You. Wait.

2 comments:

Laura B. said...

You are the coolest person I know. Seriously.
And your headache?? I have an oil for that! ;)
Gingie is in the mail en route to our nation's capital. Dreaming of all the fun you will show him!!! Xoxo

*Abby* said...

Wish I were o. My way out there too! What a time we would have!