Wednesday, November 2, 2011

On {Not} Meeting Bob Barker

We got a meeting request last week from a group hoping to meet with my boss for a few minutes today. The list mentioned that Bob Barker would be joining the group to discuss its issues. I squeaked giddily when I read that, and promptly told Derek, "Bob Barker wants a meeting!!!!"

Derek laughed and said we'd have to fit him into the schedule.

I responded to the group and worked out a time for them to come in today - it was a super busy day, side note. The last response I got from the group, confirming the time, was that Bob may or may not be able to join the meeting, because he had some other meetings around that same time.

Disappointment washed over me.

"May or may not" almost always means "we just did a little name-dropping to intrigue you enough to work this meeting out. But he has no intention of joining this particular meeting."

I still held out hope, though. Fingers were crossed. Lucky rabbit's foot was rubbed. Lucky underwear was worn. Things of that nature. All in hopes that Bob would find it in his heart to bless the life of a young woman in love with game shows and make an appearance in the office.

And then the group came into our office...

They filed in, one at a time. 4, 5, 6 people.

And once they all came in, I re-scanned the faces, in case I missed one.

No Bob.

Heartbroken, I welcomed them into the office, then sat dejectedly in my seat, holding back the question of "where's Bob?!" with all my might.

But I did get a consolatory meeting with someone who holds some face-recognition:


Yup, I met Jorja, from CSI and the West Wing. I shook her hand and then directed her to the nearest ladies' room. So we're pretty tight now.

Which I guess counts for something.

No comments: