Thursday, July 28, 2011

Just Another Day at the Metro

My heart goes out to the young woman at the Metro today, who felt her boyfriend's emotional distance most acutely this morning. The poor girl was none too pleased with him or his (in)ability to communicate. If he'd tell her not to come tonight, she won't come - why won't he just tell her?? She seemed rather pained by his aloofness and silence. Her tear-filled eyes didn't look like they'd be able to hold back much longer; I'm sure the dam broke soon after my train sped away.

My heart also goes out to the boyfriend, who didn't seem to know how to respond to his girlfriend - and when he did, he responded with such a low, quiet voice, that I couldn't catch his side of the story. But head hung low, with no eye contact, tells me enough. I feel his pain, particularly because I imagined how uncomfortable I'd feel if my boyfriend decided to work on our communication skills in the middle of such a public space, in the morning, when I still had a whole day to get through. I'm guessing he was ready to catch whatever metro train that came next, even if it took him in the wrong direction...

My heart goes out to both of them for the potential break-up that might've started this Thursday morning. And yet, I've never witnessed a public tiff in the middle of such a high-traffic place, so I don't feel so badly about leaving for work a little late. I know they weren't enjoying the start of their day, but I appreciate their role in making my morning a little more exciting than usual. Thanks unhappy couple. And good luck to you.

Question: Is it wrong that I paused my music so I could hear what was going on between them without being so obvious and taking my earphones off, as they stood just mere feet away from me?

2 comments:

*Abby* said...

not at all wrong! I would have done the same. I call it people watching (doesn't sound as bad as eavesdropping)!

Court, Jon said...

You did the right thing. For sure.