Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Snowstorm That Almost Was, But Wasn't Ever Really


Well, so much for that "Snowquester," or the "Sequestorm," as I like to call it when I feel like being different from everyone else.

The Federal Government, surrounding school districts, and countless private companies closed their doors today in anticipation of a giant snowstorm that could potentially ravage DC. Or not - we've all been here long enough to know that the District of Columbia has a weird effect on weather phenomena: it kills storms in its tracks.

However, we've all also lived here long enough to know that the imminent danger of a storm is just as effective as an actual storm in terms of getting a day off work and enjoying the benefits of a snow day.

The timing was just unfortunate for me, as the House was still in session (at least until the afternoon), and therefore, we were open and working. It was a bummer because I could really use a good free day off work (who couldn't??). But on the flip side - the commute was beautiful. No one was out. The trains were running quickly according to rush hour traffic, but there was no one on the trains. No one on the roads. No one anywhere. It was kind of great.

Until I remembered the reason no one was out and in my way was because they were all still tucked cozily in their beds.

Jerks.

I think the only way I came to terms with this non-snow day was in knowing that I would've been working as much had I been at home, canceling and rescheduling today's meetings and answering my boss's calls about random things, and I probably would've been annoyed by it all because it was my day off, my snow day! At least being at work, it was easy to move around the schedule and meetings with all my resources right in front of me, and my boss stayed busy with meetings, so it was just a normal day. Sometimes I think I'd be a great teleworker - and then I have to do work from home one time and I realize I'd be terrible at it. I'd always feel like I was privileged and shouldn't have to do as much. So it's probably good that teleworking is not an option in this job...

So anyway, I spent the Sequestorm working, acting like it wasn't really happening - which wasn't too hard, since it actually wasn't really happening. But I learned something today: I was meant to live in DC. They name everything here (the Snowquester, Snowmaggedon - maybe just snowstorms, actually), and I like a good nickname for meaningful events (I mean c'mon, all of our family reunions and gatherings are paloozas by name). This city and I get each other.

Farewell Snowquester!! May you and all your slushy rain keep our environment green and luscious! Thanks for ushering in Spring in spectacularly unimpressive fashion!

No comments: