Sunday, February 6, 2011

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y...NIGHT!

It's 11:15pm on Saturday night, and I'm in my room, listening to Spice Girls while I get ready for bed.

Because I'm cool like that.

I wish I had something awesome to say I did today, thereby justifying my early tuck-in time for a weekend night. But all I can say is that I have an early(ish) meeting tomorrow, so I need my rest.

Though I don't have anything exciting or fun to talk about regarding my day, I still feel good about the way it went. I slept in (it was lovely), got up and enjoyed some apple cinnamon oatmeal while I watched the last 10 minutes of VH1's Top 20 Countdown (I always get a little excited when I can catch this - I've been a casual Top 20 watcher since I was 12. Ah nostalgia). A new song made it to #1 this week, apparently; I liked it, so I allowed the video to play on.

Then I went and washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen. This is particularly enjoyable to me these days because we actually HAVE a kitchen to clean. It's not fully done yet, but the renovation is nearing an end - we're missing the backsplash behind the sink, the dishwasher needs to get hooked up, some holes need to be filled, and a few other small things are waiting to be finished. Oh, and the walls will be getting repainted, because the goldenrod yellow they intended the kitchen to be turned out to be a homely, dirty sticky putty yellow. Not too warm and inviting. It's not super bad, but it's not good by any means, so it will be nice to have a better color.

I spent the next 10 minutes roaming the kitchen, singing to the songs that came up on my ipod (speaking of, my playlist has moved on from Spice Girls - and I'm loving me some Collective Soul), and stared into the shiny black surfaces of our new appliances, occasionally taking my paper towel and re-rubbing a spot that seemed smudged. I find myself basking in the kitchen a lot these days. I like to just hang out in there; it's still the warmest room in the house, and now it looks pretty, too, so I've been enjoying it like a second bedroom.

After a while of wandering between the kitchen and the living room, wondering what I could clean next (the desire to clean doesn't come to me too often, so I try to take advantage of it when I can), roommate Melissa came down from her room and checked in on me. I asked if she wanted to move some furniture around.

She put her bowl in the sink and said sure, and I raced into the living room to start working.

I was really excited about this because I've been wanting to change up our living room for awhile - nothing was centered to anything else, and we had a giant recliner right next to the front door, slightly hindering our ability to get in and out of the house. It was a BOTHER, to say the least.

So we moved the chair to the other side of the wall it was against, centered the couch with the window (my equilibrium hasn't felt so good in a long time!), and pushed the tv to be a little more centered on it's wall. Then we placed our rocking chair on the other side of the room, next to the tv, in front of the stairs.

As with all change, it felt odd at first, but it looks SO MUCH BETTER! I feel so much better because of it.

Now there's space by the door to get in and out, and the far side of the room that seemed like a black hole of space now has something filling it. And things are centered! Yay! There's a bit of empty space where the big recliner was that we need to fill, probably with a plant or something, so the room's still a little "incomplete" (listening to Backstreet Boys now, great song!), but it's still substantially better-looking now than it was before.

So that was a pretty big win today.

And I got my room and bathroom all cleaned up and sparkly, which always feels good. My favorite part about cleaning my bathroom is the well-deserved 30-minute shower that follows - it may be the biggest reason why I'll suffer through cleaning my bathroom.

I also went grocery shopping without a list tonight, which is rarely a good idea, but always feels so much more liberating. I hate grocery shopping, but it seems a little less atrocious if I go into it like I'm just shopping for a shirt - I know I've got something kind of specific I'm looking for, but if I find lots of other things that I like a lot, too, that'd be cool. So tonight's shopping wasn't too bad.

I felt particularly good about going grocery shopping after I poured the rest of my apple cinnamon cheerios in a bowl for lunch earlier, and then I found out my milk had gone bad when it came out clumpy, onto my precious remaining cheerios.

That was probably the low point of the day.

I got new milk tonight.

So all in all, it seemed rather productive. It wasn't glamorous, but I felt glamorous once or twice during the day, so that's got to count for something. I also felt like I was in a Mr. Clean or Swiffer ad a few times, but I shrugged that off and moved on to some other activity.

I'm not really sure what the point of all of this was, other than that I am all ready for bed, but not quite tired enough to follow through. And I haven't been around for a while. So I thought I'd give you an update on my life. And then I almost changed my mind about writing, because all of this - what you just read - might've been the most exciting part of my week...and I just wasn't sure if you needed to know that.

I need to keep up the charade of living the high life in DC - it's my goal to be more enviable in my pursuits and activities this coming week.

But for now, I'll end with some trash talk - GO PACK! The G is for GREATNESS! Steelers fan, you better keep those terrible towels close to you...to wipe your tears from your eyes after we send you PACKing!

GO TEAM!

P.S. I hope you're as excited as I am for the pre-game game - the Puppy Bowl! I'm pretty stoked about it. I'll be particularly watching the play of CB, the shih-tzu/beagle mix - any pup that likes the Sunday crossword puzzle as much as I do gets my vote for MVP (most valuable pup) any day.

1 comment:

Berkley said...

I'm not sure if you did this on purpose, but I like how you said "Steelers fan," as if there was only one out there! hehe it made me laugh.