Wednesday, October 20, 2010

One Step Closer to Ruling the World

Well, it's not really a surprise, since I'm pretty sure I've told everyone I can think of in some way or another, but...I HAVE A JOB!

(I feel like that lead-in would fit an engagement announcement best, but this announcement will just have to do for now...)

I'm super excited about it, for 2 main reasons: 1.) It's a job in a Congressman's office, in Washington, DC, the capitol of the nation - it's the ultimate of governmental positions for a girl with no previous political interests; and B.) it's a job, and I really needed to find a job.

I will be working for Congressman Wally Herger - R, who is in the House of Representatives, representing a district in Northern California, around Sacramento, specifically the Chico area. Having once had a roommate who was from Chico, I feel like I know the place already, so I think it's a perfect fit.

I think my favorite part about all of this is that when I came in for a 2nd interview, to meet Congressman Herger, he was in California, so we got to video chat for a little bit. It was a new experience for us both, and I'm not sure who was more tickled about it, though Congressman Herger was quite delighted with the technology capabilities we got to employ. My cousin Jeremy, having looked him up, decided that he had some strong haircut resemblances to Grandpa Barlow, and when I thought about it, I realized this excitement over the video chat resembled G-pa Barlow's love of computers, too, which seemed like another good omen to me.

This whole thing happened rather quickly, I must say. Only 8 days ago, I'd forgotten completely about the fact that I'd sent my resume in for this position. But one phone call and two interviews all crammed into one week, and I've gone from unemployed with no hope to deciding how parts of this country will be run.

So my "official" title is Executive Assistant/Office Manager/Scheduler. Apparently I can decide what I really want my title to be - the chief of staff said I could choose what I wanted to go by. I was toying with the ideas of "She Who Must Be Obeyed" or "Babysitter to the Congressman," but then I realized the 1st one had been used before so people would get confused (here's to you, dad!), and the second just didn't sound professional enough - it made me seem 15 years old and boy-crazy, which may actually be closer to the truth than anything else... - so I went with the regular jargon. I'll probably drop 'scheduler,' but for now, it helps explain my duties a little better.

I'm going to start getting trained a little in my job this week, so hopefully I can live up to the high expectations of the office - I think they're anticipating a lot out of me, apparently I led them to believe I was really smart and quick to catch on. I'll just have to tap into the supernatural mental abilities I'd perfected my senior year of college (which I quickly lost when I started working at a financial company - it would seem not even my super learning & comprehension powers couldn't survive the insurance & investments business...).

But anyway, that's my life right now. For my closing remarks, I'd like to say sorry to my mom for finding a job, which will allow me to stay here a little longer. And even less than 24 hours after you'd pushed for me to apply to U of U's English program. Bummer. Of course, if by whatever fluke, the elections don't go quite right in November, perhaps that plan will still be valid...but I'm not anticipating any changes in the next few weeks (fingers crossed!).

Also, after a conversation with a friend who's decided to go on a mission, and all I really wanted to do was spread her news to various friends of ours, I've also wanted to make an official apology to my brother, Ben Barlow - sorry for stealing your thunder when your mission call came and I ran out to tell mom where you were going. What can I say, I'm a punk like that.

All and all, it's been a busy week/2 days in this neck of the woods. Here's hoping the rest of the week can keep up!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

you know how i feel about this "job", kate barlow.

p.s. my bff is back from asia, so go find her at church. her name is lisa carrier.