Sunday, September 8, 2013

Eeek! It's a Mouse!

I found a baby mouse stuck in a sticky trap by my desk the other day.

I was sitting there, minding my own business, maybe even working a little, when I noticed the trap, which had been stuck between my desk and the wall, and wondered if it had caught anything in the last few weeks, since it was put there.

We've had a problem with mice recently - the whole building has. In our office, we came across a mouse in a trap behind our couch about a month ago. And we've spotted one or two in the back office over the last few months. So we're pretty wary of them.

I don't know why I thought I'd check the trap this time, but I had enjoyed the thought that the mice weren't running around my corner of the office, so I hoped to prove myself right.

I bent down from my chair and looked in, and saw a shadow, which I hoped was really all it was - a shadow of the box, the dark space behind the trap, or something like that.

I called Staff Assistant Sean over, though, to confirm.

He crouched over, and then picked up the trap - complete with a teeny tiny, baby mouse. Dead, stuck to the trap.

!!!!

I was drowned in a mixture of sorrow (for the poor baby) and revulsion (it's a freaking dead mouse by my desk!), and I just wanted Sean to get the trap out of the office immediately.

Being the good staff assistant, he did just that - after first chasing me around the front office with it.

BOYS. Why?!?!

I felt so bad that the poor, innocent little thing might've sat there forever, slowly dying. I'm not a fan of the snap traps, but these sticky traps don't seem that much nicer.

Mice, take some advice from me, please. DO NOT come in to our building! I don't want to kill you, but we just can't have you running amok in our offices. We could peacefully co-exist, if only you'd exist outside, not anywhere I am.

Also, those sticky traps really are sticky. My chief of staff's dog found that out the hard way, when he stuck his nose in one, and it didn't come off until a pair of scissors got it off him - with part of his fur attached...his little face fuzz was rather uneven for the next several weeks...

No comments: