Saturday, October 27, 2012

Halloween 2012 - Ushering in a New Phase of Life

Minutes before leaving for a big Halloween Dance Friday night, I teased this picture of my costume:



Now the last few years, I've been some variation of the Night Sky/the Milky Way (the stars, not the candy bar)/the Cosmos:


And I think it's safe to say that teaser picture above doesn't really look like an rendition of a starry night, unless that starry night has gone absolutely loco.

Nope, after 3 years of the Night Sky, I've moved to my next brilliant costume idea - Crazy Cat Lady:


Great idea, right?! I planned on wearing pajamas and a robe and having cats all over, but in my time crunch, I came up with only 3 cats (note the one in my big bag - totally borrowed it from a house of full of guys...which seemed weird to me that they had a stuffed kitty. But whatever). And none of the pjs and robes I found were doing it for me. And then - then this beautiful, soft, wool cape sweater caught my eye as I walked through the plus-size section of TJ Maxx. It's a 1x, and while I swear I can still wear a medium in regular women's sizes, I feel like I could wear that sweater/jacket out and have it no be too ridiculous. It's amazingly warm and so comfortable, so I just might...which is a scary thought that my halloween costume might soon become my normal daily wear.

But then I thought - I'm still kind of young. So I'll be the crazy cat lady who still goes out in society sometimes. I think it worked out just great, actually. And I had my big purse, so I also felt kind of like a bag lady, with 2 of my precious kitties stored in it.

Also, the glasses might have been the best part. I loved them. I want to wear them all the time. They perfectly highlighted my too-brightly rouged cheeks and sketchy eye makeup. And thanks to former roommate Melissa for teasing my hair so nicely - on one side. And for flattening it on one side of the back - it's the little details. The bows were another nice little detail.

At one point during the night, my hair started to flatten a bit, so my friend gave me a little head massage to give it some height and texture again - WIN-WIN! Except he lost, because his hand was sticky from hair product after that...

And the slippers on my feet? Leopard print. In my husky smoking voice, I claimed to any passers-by who cared to listen (so no one) that they were my first cat. When he died, I wanted to keep him close. So I made these slippers. And I always wear them. So he's always with me. A bit macabre? Perhaps. And yet, I'm wearing them right now, as I type this up. There's a little bit of truth in every good lie, I hear.

But guys, I rocked this outfit. Seriously. I looked so good. A Hot Mess was what Melissa called it - which must be good, because she said I was HOT. I had a lot of people complimenting me during the evening. Usually repeatedly - most people had to tell me a few times how great it was, because once just wasn't sufficient. And I got to do whatever I felt like all night, because it was part of the act - I WAS CRAZY! It was awesome. 

So I took a lot of pictures, but many of them were not my pictures, so I don't have them. Which is too bad, because I wish I could share so many of them. But you'll have to deal with the ones I took with my own camera. And my cute orange tabby, Mr. Cotton, photo-bombed a lot of pictures. He's just so photogenic and such a ham. He had to be involved in everything.

Here's the collage from my pre-dance photo shoot:

Meaning of each picture's emotions, clockwise from top left: normal face; "HELLLLLLLLOOOOOO!!!"; cat lady sexy face; pensive, considering "what is a cat? An animal by any other name would shed as thick."


Roommates! So check this out: a giraffe, cat lady, and replacement referee walk in to a bar...

A brother from the Jackson 5, a 20's flapper girl, and a crazy lady and her cat.

 The teeth was my favorite part of her costume.

 Indiana Jones! He saved my poor kitty, Mr. Cotton, from the dangers of the dance floor once or twice (not really - Cotton's got mad dance moves!)

These friends of mine came dressed as each other, with name tags so it could be a little more obvious. But they dress so alike everyday anyway that they could've just come as twins. Mr. Cotton liked them though, so we hung out with them for a bit)

By the end of the night, all 4 of us were completely tuckered out. Jimmy and Marie (below) were pretty tired all night and slept in my bag on the outskirts of the dance floor.


 But Mr. Cotton was a dancing machine and stuck with me all night! He made lots of friends and was really well-mannered all night. He worked hard to show me that he can come out with me more often.


 One of my friends commented how much she liked my costume, and I responded that it was really comfortable and I was really happy with it, and that I can't wait for this to be my life. Compassionately, she commented that since I saw the irony in the outfit and could have such fun with it, she didn't worry that I would actually end up as a crazy cat lady.

To which I countered, "Actually, this outfit may make me work harder to get there faster - this is seriously the best! I really am so excited to get to this phase of life!"

And then she gave up and walked away, realizing I was indeed a lost cause.

No comments: