Monday, July 12, 2010

The Phantom Faxer

There are a lot of times that I really enjoy work. There are also a lot of times I really don't enjoy work. But the times that I enjoy work are always a lot more meaningful to me. And I know it's a really bad day when co-worker Elizabeth and I don't have at least one conversation that makes us laugh for 5 minutes at one or both of us.

Take today, for example. We have an online fax service for 'the Barlow offices' that we use, instead of a clunky piece of equipment (yeah, we're a forward-thinking office. We also have a bowl full of fruit on our desk, to make us look healthy as well. It's all about perception). This online service sends us an email when a fax we sent was "sent successfully" or when one comes in, blah, blah, blah. When I've sent a fax, Elizabeth puts the email in my folder from Jeremy's email (where the email is sent to). Then I can know it was successful in its sending. When she sends one, she saves it in her own spot. It's very advanced record-keeping.

Today, I looked at my folder around 9:45 this morning and saw that a fax was 'sent successfully' somewhere. Cue conversation:

Me (while staring at my email): Um...did I send a fax today?

E (while looking at her computer): Well, you must have. I haven't been in the fax system for a couple of days. So it's not mine.

Me: I can't for the life of me remember sending a fax today. I don't think I've been in there for a couple days either...

E: Go and check then. But I haven't faxed anything.

Cue me going into the fax website and looking at what was sent. Fax sent out roughly 9:05am on 7.12.2010. Cover letter is signed by E.

Me: So...E, this is what was sent. I don't think I sent this. Are you sure you didn't send a fax today?

E (comes over to see my screen, blushes): Uh...okay...so maybe that fax was sent by me. Wow.

Cue 5 minutes of laughter, followed by Elizabeth leaving and coming back, with a formal apology for telling me I had to have sent a fax I clearly didn't send. I giggle my acceptance.

It's the little - very little - things that often make my day enjoyable. And stupid conversations like that are sometimes the only thing that can bring a smile to my face at work.

No comments: