Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Note to Self...

When at the gym, do NOT watch the Food Network while attempting a hard workout on the bike/treadmill/elliptical/stair climber. It just complicates things.

First off, I went to the gym at the wrong time - I made it there with roughly 10 minutes left in the 8pm shows. And apparently 9pm on a Monday night doesn't have much to distract me from my workout. So, I finished my warm-up jog on the treadmill about 10 minutes early, and moved on to a stationery bike, hoping I might get myself moving a little more. While the treadmill I was on had my own personal tv, the bikes just had the giant shared ones, which I couldn't locate remotes for (I didn't look hard though - I try not to look like an idiot at places I already feel awkward and stupid in). I ended up right between the History Channel (which was almost interesting, but came just short of engrossing me in any way), Comedy Central (which was not very comedic to me at the time), and the Food Network.

Now I love, love, love the Food Network. I watch it all the time. But I don't really love, love, love working out. I just kind of like it for the endorphins that stick around a good while after.

So I'm sitting on the bike - which I might admit is not the best position for me if I'm looking for an actual workout (I'm more of a social stationery biker) - watching the Food Network's show about how some of the great treats in America are made. And I'm suddenly in love with sno-balls from Hostess. I can think of nothing but really wanting anything Hostess, wishing I was power-walking through the grocery store instead of casually pedalling on a bike going nowhere (which still makes me sweat like a beast - this is why I will never be hit on at a gym). Then I remember there's an Arctic Circle just on the other side of the parking lot! Celebrating July with birthday cake shakes! I force myself to stay at the gym for another 20 minutes, giving up on the bike as soon as a commercial abets my escape from Food Network torture, opting to do some situps and cool myself down a little.

I walk home (the gym's right across the street - sweet, huh? Makes for a great warm-up and cool-down!), wondering who of my friends might be up for a little field trip back across the street for shakes. The birthday cake shake will not stop dancing in my mind. I allow a break from my obsession by finding the perfect song to walk home to on a beautiful, warm Summer evening, my footsteps falling to the 2/4 beat, lips quietly singing the song to the breeze.

As soon as I walk into my room, I kick off my shoes and start texting a friend a very casual note that I hope implies that I want a response of "let's go over to Arctic Circle and get shakes" or "I want a Hostess cupcake really badly as well, let's get some!" Instead, I don't even get halfway through my casual note before another friend calls with some casual question. Recognizing this as destiny for me and my shake, I quickly answer the question, then say, "I really need a birthday cake shake from Arctic Circle - do you want to walk...," cut short by, "I'm on my way, I'll meet you near your house."

Fate, it would seem, meant for me to have my shake last night.

We met right outside my neighborhood and made our way to Arctic Circle. The birthday cake shake did not disappoint.

My friend and I decided this might become the perfect 10pm on a Monday night trip. Celebrating making it through one more Monday with a new flavor every week.

On the downside, that's one more workout that will need to be made up for, since it was offset by a delicious, but grossly fattening treat.

On the plus side, that's one more grossly fattening treat that was negated by a tiring, but somewhat hard workout.

What flavor do I try next Monday?

No comments: