Sunday, April 25, 2010

Where I'm From

I found this blog that I absolutely love - the would-be writer's guild (it's linked from here, under my blogs to read). I probably love it because she is a writer, so she makes me want to write more. AND she has a few posts that have really good writing exercises, some of which I've started doing, and others I want to try.

One exercise has to do with a poem by George Ella Lyon, called, "Where I'm From." It's used a lot as a writing exercise, and I think it's just a fun way to look at your past, thinking of what really made you who you are today. Turns out, I have to teach at Church, in Relief Society, this coming Sunday, and I've finally figured out what I'm going to teach, and I thought this poem seemed like a great introduction to my lesson. So I wrote my own poem for me, and I'm thinking of asking 1 or 2 other girls to write a short poem to share as well. I'd like to see what has influenced other girls, forming who they are now as well.

I thought I'd share my poem here, too, hoping this might force me to keep writing when I know the whole world is just waiting to read it. Or just for my own amusement. Whichever. So here goes:

Where I’m From

I am from lilac bushes and cherry blossoms,
From wild weeping willows and green as far as the eyes can see.
From bluffs by the lake and landscapes carved by the glaciers.
I am from home-made, worn-in baseball diamonds formed by racing feet during pick-up games in our backyard.

I am from hand-made dresses and hand-me-down shoes,
back middle row seats and never shotgun for the youngest to ride in.
I’m from the sports-crazed and the self-proclaimed geniuses.
The sit straight, don’t slouch, the no elbows on the table.
I’m from “Isn’t she a sweet girl?” and “stop following me around!”
From I Know that My Redeemer Lives and Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam.
I’m from Articles of Faith and Scripture Masteries, each one memorized, but never for long.

I’m from Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Lorax, Elizabeth Bennett and David Copperfield, and the first chapter of the Hobbit we could never get past.
I’m from a Cinderella tape, worn out from use,
And I’m a Little Teapot, performed repeatedly for my family's amusement.
I’m from a generous smile my mom says I got from my dad,
Green eyes I got from my grandma,
And a firm handshake I was trained in by my dad’s best friend.
I’m from a need to be kind to everyone,
And a wish to be better than I am.
From a thoughtful mind and an active imagination that sometimes gets out of control.
I’m from lessons my siblings learned for me, and a few I learned for myself.

I’m from a past of heartache and joy,
Pain and love,
Angst and peace,
All cheering me on toward a future of amazing potential.


There was a lot more that I could've put in there - my list of ideas was quite long - but for a first draft, I think this is a decent representation of what has shaped me and what seems to have made a dent in my life.
It's kind of fun to look what stands out when I think of my life as a kid, considering my role in my family, looking at my heritage, and everything. I'm excited to ask someone else to do this and hear what they come up with for themselves. And I'm completely interested in you - how you would put your poem together? Where do you come from?

I really do want to hear from everyone, but I'm particularly looking at you, Abby. As my sister, what would your poem be? Talk about being put on the spot :).

2 comments:

*Abby* said...

challenge accepted... check your email!

Michelle said...

I love this poem.
I already told you that
but I wanted to tell you again
in electronic form.