Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Nightmares

I had a nightmare last night. It was painful. Usually my nightmares have something to do with bees chasing me or giant daddy long-legs waiting for me in our basement storage room. But every once it a while, they become a little more real life-like. Like once when I dreamed my brother got shot in a drive-by shooting at our house, or when I was trying to hide behind a shower curtain in a decrepit house while a serial killer looked for me. Those weren't fun dreams. They always mess me up for a good day and a half.

Last night was one of  those terrible, keeps you in a nervous mood, makes you really exhausted all day, nightmares. I dreamt that I was at house, with a ton of other people, and this lady had me come downstairs to the basement with her to help her with something. She started crying about how terrible her life was, and then she placed this ring on her finger. The ring had a short pointy thing on it, and she cried as I realized she was going to kill herself by poking her eye out. I tried to stop her, pulled her arm away, screamed louder and louder for help, but I couldn't stop her. She didn't die, but I was freaking out and screaming as loud as I could. But no one upstairs heard me, until I dialed 911. Then suddenly everyone was downstairs, and I was still screaming and crying, and she was crying, and bleeding of course. Finally this really tall, good-looking guy came over, gave me a giant hug, picked me up, and took me upstairs to calm down. We passed by the woman, who's husband was suddenly next to her, and she smiled at me like she was slightly embarrassed that she had made such a fuss. Then I woke up. Stock-still on my back. Wondering if any of those piercing screams had escaped my frozen shut lips. I took some deep breaths and wondered what in the hell was going through my head to produce such a terrifying dream.

I'm not sure why I felt the need to share this with the world - probably so everyone else can know why I'm been a little on edge today. I didn't spend much time figuring out any explanation or attributing any sort of psycho-babble to it, but I'm sure it means something. Like, maybe I should take a personal day from work tomorrow. Or perhaps I need a boyfriend. And the only way to get one is by screaming at the top of my lungs for five minutes after seeing a woman poke her eye out.

The lady's eye was fine, by the way. A little red, but I recall noting in my dream that her recovery was just short of miraculous. So that was a plus.

2 comments:

*Abby* said...

Wow... thats quite some imagination... especially to draw the "H" word out of yor fingers! I guess I can just say keep an eye out for needy people with pointy rings!

Kate said...

Well, it was quite the messed-up dream. I was thinking about it 2 days later still.

Utah hasn't been good for my language. Go figure.