Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The new 6 month resident

I'm sitting on my bed, snuggling up with my cat, loving life right now. Zach's having us catsit while they go on their crazy RV adventure, and I'm so excited! Possibly because dad does all the lame stuff like getting him food and water and cleaning his litter box while I'm at work, so I just get to enjoy the evening cuddles and head scratches, but I can't be sure.
Cat is just a cute little thing! His christian name is Oliver, but he responds to Cat, so we go with what he likes. My brother Ben and his family are in town right now, so he's been enjoying my room and the underneath of my bed more than usual this week. But this morning, I left for work with him on the top of my bed; I came home from work to him under my bed; I returned from our Church enrichment activity to him back on the top of my bed. So I pushed him over just enough to sit down, and we've been enjoying our evening together while everyone else has been out of the house.
Cat is kind of funny - he really likes snuggling and a good head scratch, but after about 5 minutes he turns to play mode, wrapping his paws around your petting hand and trying to bite your fingers off. That's the siamese in him. But he's lazy enough - the himalayan side of him - that if you move your hand away, he won't keep going after it. He'll just go back to laying down, like he's thinking, 'Okay, that was enough exertion on my part, it's completely tired me out. Thanks for the exercise.'
Aside from his skittishness, and his extensive shedding, Cat has become a welcome part of the summer household. At least to me. We enjoy each other's company quite a bit. My evening with Cat has been great, just relaxing as he goes in and out of sleep and I catch up on some other things. His breath reeks, which puts a bit of a damper on the occasion - when he yawns, I totally gag. But what can I do, I'm a sucker for his gentle purring.
But soon the children will come back, and he will sense their return about 5 minutes before the car pulls into the driveway - he's got an amazing sixth sense for knowing when scary events to himself are about to take place. He will either be dumb and dart into the main room of our basement, where the girls will begin to chase after him, or he will be smart and find shelter back under my bed again. Either way, our moment of bonding will soon be over, and that's okay. I know it'll happen again soon. What can he do, he's a sucker for a soft blanket.

No comments: