Saturday, August 13, 2011

I'm Finished

You guys, I finished Anna Karenina! All 923 pages of it! In exactly one month and 2 days! I'm quite pleased with myself, if I may say so. And I thoroughly enjoyed my Tolstoy experience.

I tell you what, I'm a fan of that book. I felt too much of myself in it - which is strange, since I don't often look at  my life as similar to a 19th-century Russian aristocrat's. But all the same. I've learned a lot about myself in the 33 days it took to understand the lives of 7 Russians and the goings-on of the surrounding societies. And I laughed out loud quite a bit at multiple points in the book - that Tolstoy (and/or the English translator) is surprisingly funny, more often than not. I laughed a lot at much of the social interactions and situations that I still see happening so often in my own social circle. Could it be that the courting rituals of young, single Mormons are that similar to Russian aristocrats from 200 years ago? Actually, maybe I'm not that surprised.

This book is getting a nice spot on my shelf of favorite classics (as soon as I buy it cheap from the liquidating Borders - and thank you, Library of Congress, for your graciousness in loaning my current copy out to me).

If you like studying philosophy, theology, sociology, or 19th-century Russian farming techniques, I think you'll really like this book. 

No comments: