Friday, December 21, 2012

Tuesday Night Concert Series (A 1-Concert Series...)

I went to a concert Tuesday night.

That's right, I'm not so much of an old lady soul that I can't stay out late at a loud concert mid-week.

Though I have struggled to be awake and attentive all week. Just haven't been able to catch up on sleep since then. Lame.

The concert, however, was not lame. It was killer.

It was the Killers, in fact, so I don't know how it could be any less than killer, by definition.

I don't know if you knew this, but the Killers are totes awesome and kind of the bomb diggity in the mormon mainstream music world. Mainly because Brandon Flowers is mormon and lately started being willing to stand out as a cool person who is also a mormon. So naturally, a number of my fellow DC latter-day saints were looking forward to going to this concert.

I went with 4 friends, ran into 3 other friends, and enjoyed the company of hundreds of fans who, for that very reason, were soon numbered as my friends as well, despite not talking or interacting at all with them. Sometimes friendship means never actually knowing who each other is.

Now, I'm not going to pretend that I'm a huge Killers fangirl who knows all of their songs and listens to them daily. In fact, I kept meaning to listen to their newest album these last few weeks, but I just couldn't switch from my Christmas music. I LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC! It was too hard to give up the precious few days of legitimate xmas music time, and ultimately I couldn't sacrifice that time.

But it turns out that I know a number of Killers songs anyway, particularly the ones they played at their concert, so it worked out just fine. Mr. Brightside, Human, and one of my favorites, I've Got Soul, But I'm Not a Soldier were all featured, which I was quite excited about.


Also getting played was a new song, which one friend had been wise enough to play in the car ride over to the Patriot Center beforehand - Don't Want Your Picture on My Cell Phone. Super cheesy - not a favorite of my friends, per se. Yet that one listen allowed me to sing the lyrics of the song while they played, so it may be my favorite. Easy lyrics that you can pick up right away? Yes please! And despite being kind of ridiculous and cheesy, I kind of love it and it's silly sweetness. Judge me all you want.

But my favorite part? It may be a tie. I might have to say the pyrotechnics and confetti rainstorm were great. I would've loved to be in the pit at the moment the confetti was released - having that rain down on me would've been awesome - like I'd just won $1million or something! Since I don't expect that to actually happen in my life, I would've been just fine with a mock experience of it. And the pyrotechnics were great - the first time they blasted off was in the middle of the song, right when they said "atomic bomb." Too perfect or too perfect? And then they went crazy during the last song of the encore.


Speaking of, that would be my other choice for favorite part - after they walked off the stage following their main show, the crowd stayed cheering for them for about 5 minutes (felt like 5 hours!) - maybe 10 minutes, I guess I don't really know - and then they slowly lumbered back on the stage, took up their instruments, and proceeded to play another 3 or 4 songs, with my Soul/Soldier song leading the way (I may be making that up, but I'm pretty sure that was the first song...it's been a few days, okay??? Lay off!). Anyway, it was a good encore, and considering that I had just told my friend that all I wanted for Christmas was an encore - seriously, it felt like it took them forever to come back on stage... - they got me a pretty nice, elegantly wrapped present. Thanks Killers!

And then our favorite in-the-world-and-perhaps-a-little-of-the-world mormon Brandon Flowers (BF for those of us who like to pretend he's also our BF and not a husband and father...I'm not one of those people, but I have some friends...) personally hugged his adoring fans at the front of the pit, all the way across. And the security detail behind him manhandled him across the row, to make sure he didn't get eaten alive by the 30- and 40-year-old women who were screaming at him. Seriously, my friend and I were intrigued by the older audience. Not old, but older - we were some of the younger fans still. A lot of people were reliving their late college glory years Tuesday night.


I don't know why, but this was probably my favorite picture of the night. Good job BF and Killer Co.! Two thumbs up! Hurrah and hurray! Brava!


Anyway. It was a good concert. 500 words later, you get the point. I had a fun time with my boys from the decaying rose of the desert, Las Vegas. Brandon's my lds homeboy, and no one's hair caught on fire from the open flames of the sweet pyrotechnics (which can't also be said for my friend Lance's fancy Holiday Gala at his house the other weekend...things get crazy at fancy attire parties, y'all.)

Thanks Killers! Two thumbs up! And now it's time for me to finally catch up on the sleep I lost from that Tuesday night out. My ears and head stopped ringing a little while ago, so this is the last lingering ailment of a great night.

No comments: