Friday, June 11, 2010

Maybe you don't want to hear all about my trip...

Apparently you don't want to hear all the details of my trip of 1sts to California. Shoot, I don't even want to retell all the details. I'm glad we could get that awkwardness cleared up...

Let me just say that the beach was beautiful. I could've sat on the warm sand forever, had I not started sweating to death and gotten really hungry at the same time. The ocean though - a little cold, and still full of scary, unknown animals lurking nearby. My irrational fear of sharks and jellyfish (irrational because I've never lived close enough to an ocean to fear their presence in my life) kept me out of the water. Plus, I'm not a huge water person. I like land. I'll let water people have my spot in the ocean. I wouldn't want to crowd anyone, you know? And to think, China's just on the other side. That was a weird thought to me, when I grew up with only having Michigan on the other side of the water...

And Disneyland? Awesome. Truly awesome. Especially when you get in line for Splash Mountain, randomly see a tall guy's back and accurately guess that said back belongs to a guy you attended college with (I know, I was a little freaked out at my latent ability to pinpoint people as well), and randomly have 3 nine-year-old girls just behind you become your best friends, while one's dad cracks jokes at their expense through the whole line. I sure miss those little girls - one gave me the greatest self-esteem boost with her innate ability to read people. She got me spot on with her comments of "You're really pretty. You're really smart" and the like. I wish I could just have follow me around, reminding me that at least a total stranger can think I'm really cool. I think I got more hugs from those girls in line than I've gotten in the last 2 years of my life.

And the drive to and from California? LONG. REALLY LONG. And I still don't really get the 'drive through 4 states to get 3 states away' deal. What's up with the 25 minutes of Arizona in the middle of it? It is a gorgeous drive, though, through Southern Utah, part of Arizona, and various parts of Nevada and California. Noted: Las Vegas is A LOT cooler at night than at day. In the light, it just looks like a heap of trash left to decompose in the desert heat. Maybe that's a little harsh...but I don't think so.

Anyway, that recap actually fits my log pretty well. I kept a very accurate log the whole drive up...and then promptly switched to my mental log, which holds general thoughts and hazy memories more than bullet point details. One hazy memory logged was the car fire that closed down the freeway we were on as we attempted to make it to Disneyland in the 50 minutes it should've taken. That created a lot of haze. And it was California - for all we know, we just saw a movie being shot. At any rate, that stupid hazy memory cost us 3 more hours on the road, trying to make it to the park before it closed! 4 hours later, we were at the park for a nice afternoon of fast passes and It's A Small World After All.

Oh, and we got a picture with Minnie Mouse, which was all I really wanted, so it was a great trip.

No comments: